The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's a Street Supra's Sweet Spot Power Wise?

Style

Did a quick search but never got much back dedicated to the subject.

I'm interested to see what people who have been up through all the power levels with their Supra's views are and what one they enjoyed the most. I get the feeling I'd start chasing numbers if funds permitted so want some sense talked into me if it ever does!

I've seen the occasional post about BPU, fast spooling 550hp and then up around 800hp all being great. Would people who have gone over 1000hp recommend it again for a street car?

Personally for me a 600-700hp fast spooling Supra is the ultimate street car.

I've had a 400hp TT up to an 800+hp single turbo. As soon as you go too high I think you lose driveability unless you just want a drag strip queen, in which case go large!!

Mines just over 600hp, almost zero turbo lag and is the absolute most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a car.

I've had a 400hp TT up to an 800+hp single turbo. As soon as you go too high I think you lose driveability unless you just want a drag strip queen, in which case go large!!

Mines just over 600hp, almost zero turbo lag and is the absolute most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a car.

I'd definitely want to keep my car to street levels and maintain driveability, a few runs up the strip would be fun but only for curiosity so no drag queen for me! :D

650 isn't a big ask either so that's good to know :)

To remain streetable you need to look at the delivery of the power, you dont want anything that comes into quickly as this will break traction.

Yeah mate I'd hate to be breaking traction every time I tried a pull.

These new Precision turbos look to come on hard, a geometry setup would be a must for anything single I reckon as well as 315's like Jacky has said. I've still got my heart set on CCW's at some point so they'd help with their ability to get a wide tyre under the stock arches

And you also want some huge 315 tyres to prevent your tail cracking out every time you come on boost :D especially in this weather...

I wouldn't want to chance running a single around in wet conditions at all :D

would also depend on if you had an auto or not , for an auto the sweet spot is 500 -550 to keep it half relieble

manual I would guess be 500 - 700. but even that I would of thought is dependant on what you want the car for clucth being a large factor

when you say precission units come on hard that can be adjusted through the boost controler / ecu mapping just lower the boost setting while boost is being made at rpm break points to smooth it out

+1 on that - mine was on a very similar set up at 607 hp and was fine on traction. I have recently changed set up and running circa 700hp but not fully tested traction yet. I think around 650 on a Supra is the sweet spot on a road car:)

From what I have read here over the years 600 - 700 seems to be what a lot of people say. 1500HP would be nice but in the real world and particularly in this country 6 - 700 would probably get you down to do the Tesco big shop that bit quicker :),

1500hp would be good for a few straight line pulls, that's about it for me :D

Mine was great at 600bhp, unopened engine. If I had another I'd probably stick some 264s in there and leave it at that. Very few road cars come close to that level of performance. Even modern Ferraris.

I'm running an NA-T so would have to open the engine to reach that level but wouldn't take much. I will add cams to the list! :) Coil conversion as well of course

would also depend on if you had an auto or not , for an auto the sweet spot is 500 -550 to keep it half relieble

manual I would guess be 500 - 700. but even that I would of thought is dependant on what you want the car for clucth being a large factor

when you say precission units come on hard that can be adjusted through the boost controler / ecu mapping just lower the boost setting while boost is being made at rpm break points to smooth it out

6spd for me with a CW clutch, feels very OEM and can hopefully hold around that power level. No idea what it can hold really so I may find out the hard way!

+1 on that - mine was on a very similar set up at 607 hp and was fine on traction. I have recently changed set up and running circa 700hp but not fully tested traction yet. I think around 650 on a Supra is the sweet spot on a road car:)

650 is sounding like the magic number then! I think the Whifbitz NA-T kit I have is limited to around 550hp but I guess flex fuel could help there a little!

High quality 62-64mm turbo max'd out with good supporting mods is best fun imo, as others mention you need a good quality wheel/tyre/brake/suspension setup to make the most of it.

With the way these small turbos make the good power these days even a 67mm turbo is to laggy for me now.

I've never driven or been passenger in a single turbo car till I had mine built and drove my own. 600 is awesome for the road and the 264cams are great. Very little wheelspin either in the dry it just squats and goes! For me I think the same as above 6-700 would be a sweet spot imo.

It's all down to personal taste. If I was going to do everything again in a Supra (which I doubt), I'd want something like a GTX3582R on a T4, with some mild cams, like 262/264 so that it doesn't idle like a pig.

I think with our roads, 1990's chassis technology and rear wheel drive, 550bhp will be perfect. A good stock block will take that all day, you'll get a decent clutch which won't break your left leg, or make you look like the Rain Man in traffic - if you're doing this on an auto, twin gearbox coolers and you're away.

A 550bhp Supra will still spank 99% of cars on the road.

The 'sweet spot' is more to do with the setup than the outright power imho, two cars can have similar power but one can be so much faster than the other, crappy laggy turbo and poor choice of supporting mods will see you far behind a well thought out high end setup.

The 'sweet spot' is more to do with the setup than the outright power imho, two cars can have similar power but one can be so much faster than the other, crappy laggy turbo and poor choice of supporting mods will see you far behind a well thought out high end setup.

^^^This.

Although dads previous setup was fast, since SRD have worked their magic its a totally different animal.

Its like comparing chalk and cheese. Its totally different :) Feels so much better now!

IMO 600-750hp is the power range you would ideally want. 98% of cars you will munch up. But more importantly, this is the happy medium between power and reliability. As long as you have a strong set up, you will have many, many miles of fun.. Without the "Oh shit its broke again" happening. Useable power is the most important thing. Its easy to get lost into the I need more power frame of mind. I suppose it is possible to have a reliable 1000+hp supra.. But I doubt its usable on the street every day?