The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra is getting a brand new V161 6 speed conversion kit ;)

supra_24

Hey guys,

So I have finally gone ahead and arranged for a 6 Speed conversion to be done on my Supra. This was all thanks to Pauls help at Whifbitz ;)

My supra as its stands has a UK spec TT engine and W58 5 speed gearbox with stage 3 + clutch installed. Around 400bhp.

The car drives smooth as butter as it is, but I wanted to go to the 6 speed knowing that I could then if needs be, up the Bhp without any worry in the future.

So I contacted Paul in regards to the conversion setup and he sourced me a brand new V160 from the US. A bit pricey, but I went in with the mind set that if your gonna do it, do it right the first time.

I then later got an email letting me know that the V160 was no longer available, but for the same price I could have a brand new V161 gearbox, bonus ;)

So I confirmed the order and am now awaiting on all the parts required for the conversion at Whifbitz. Looking forward to experienceing the new setup.

On another note, I currently have a diff with driveshafts for my 5 speed setup, which i should be able to use with the 6 speed conversion. I know for a fact that its LSD, but wanted to confirm whether it was from a TT or NA, as the proprshaft was modified to fit it?

I have a picture of it and wondered if you guys could identify it?

WP_20140826_001.jpg

£5100 for the gearbox alone bud. But then I had other costs involved like clutch, flywheel etc.

That's a good price, I might sell my current one and buy a new one :).

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good price for a brand new gearbox, if it included shipping, VAT etc. :cool:

All included when I last spoke to Paul.

Yeah its not to bad to be honest. My total bill was around £8000, because I had all the other bits required for the conversion from my 5 speed to 6 speed.

You guys dont happen to know about the above Diff do you? Can I use an LSD NA diff with the rest of my 6 speed conversion? or what do you recommend?

There is no reason you cannot use it. If its a N/A auto diff you will be OK but if its an N/A Manual diff it will accelerate quickly and rev high on the motorway.

Use the gearbox calculator on the forum to find out what it will be like.

A picture of the VIN plate on the drivers wing will give a clue to what the diff might be

Is there supposed to be a diff mount missing in the pic lol?

This seems to be a common issue. Does anyone know why so many supras are missing this mount?

£8k could buy you a whole 6 speed TT car. Congrats though.

Those days are long gone now. I reckon £10k is bare minimum.

Congrats on the sale and sorry if you take my post in a negative way (I don't mean to be though) but why did you not start with a fresh vvti 6 speed import in the first place.

I only ask out of curiosity as you seem to have spent more than the price of one now.

Cheers guys. yeah I could have perhaps purchased a supra with a 6 speed, but to be honest, having already completely rebuilt this supra, it would be mad to go and get another just becuse of the transmission.

Atleast I know with my supra whats been done and what hasnt. No nasty suprises and Ive seen a few lol. If I went and got another Supra, whats to say it wouldnt have other issues needing attention?

Everything possible has been done to this car as you guys saw in my for sale ad list. I have used only the best parts, no cheaping out.

Besides, this is a brand new V161 full conversion and the car is also going in for a full respray next week. This will only increase the cars value when I come to sell in the future ;)

In regards to the right side diff mount, yes it was missing intially, but since that photo I have purchased and fitted the right side mount also.

Congrats on the sale and sorry if you take my post in a negative way (I don't mean to be though) but why did you not start with a fresh vvti 6 speed import in the first place.

I only ask out of curiosity as you seem to have spent more than the price of one now.

Yeah to be honest I guess in hine sight I should have done that exact thing and purchased a fresh import. But at the time I guess i didnt think through the cost of restoring this car. It was in pretty bad shape, but i thought £4000 for the whole thing was a bargain and it wouldnt take much to sort it out. How wrong I was :(

Well in the future I wont be making the same mistake again as it has cost me. Not sure if I will even restore a car again. I will get a clean example in the first place, like i did with my Nissan Silvia S15 ;)