The mkiv Supra Owners Club

(Finished) Toxic Tail Style Lights

mattdavies

I have for a while wanted to create some new rear lights for my Supra, I had previously bought some all Clear Rear lights off a member on here, but have been also looking at LED rear lights al la Heckler and the Toxic Tails in the US.

Here are my current rear lights:

So then the search begun for the materials to build another set of unique rear lights, or at least something a little different, I was in no rush so I waited for the right items to come up at silly cheap prices. I got some very cheap crash damaged facelifts from Twisted when he was unfortunately crashed into the back of & then I bought some crappy pre-facelifts off ebay cheap then I think the postage costs :D

My plan at this point was to fit the Face lift inners into the Prefacelift cases to give myself Facelifts, at this point I started to look into fitting some LEDs of some description, but I mainly was after a cheap set of Facelifts

Then on ebay a set of clear lenses popped up, So for a small fee I bought them, much cheaper then buying the rear lights to scavenge them from ( 2x Uk Spec Rear & 2x J-spec Rears ) So then I had all this :

I then put them all in the oven for 10mins at 80degrees, upon splitting the facelifts I realised they were too damaged to put them into the Cases and also the Lenses don't fit in the pre-facelift cases, so then I had all this left over ( still do )

After some research I ordered some LED Rings from Hong Kong to trial and test as I had decided I was going to try and build a Toxic Tail style rear light with all clear lenses. Here are some pictures of my trialing the Rings themselves and then Fitting the clear lenses.

Here is a LED ring placed inside a lens

I then Built them into the Lens unit

And tested the light ( it was dark by then )

If anyone is interested I will do a more detailed write up for fitting the rings into the lenses and then how I will wire them up.

I still Have to:

• Refit the Plastic Lens ( Hope nothing melts )
  • Adapt the loom and wire the rings in
  • Re-furb the otherside
  • Build the rings into the cluster
  • Re-build and wire that side

Edited by mattdavies (see edit history)

What happens with the brake light illumination. ? They look great so far though

Just going to stick with a normal bulb, I have enough looms to hack up to make a loom of single filament bulb holders BUT these rings are Very bright so thinking I am going to Bridge the Brake and Tail lights together so both elements light up when I brake.

I could put another ring in for brake lights but I like the look as they are and with another ring it will be visible

You Fitted then back into the cheap cases, they were cheap because they had tape all over them and this black line painted on:

So I sorted the wiring ( or so I thought ) I had joined the wrong two wires together so the brake bulb was always on and have adapted the drivers loom not the passenger loom so the indicator was in the inside lens !

So now just need to cut and polish the lense and that side should be sorted, just have to wait for the ring for the other side to turn up. In the mean time I am on the look out for another set of pre-facelift lights for a cheap cheap price

I am considering making an MOT plate, Correct spacing with a Fog light and reflectors bolted on the side. My new rear lights are very bright anyway and my current Fog light is just as bright as my normal lights, so there purely to satisfy a law

Matt do you know how they get black lens look on the toxic rear lights? Really nice job on the LEDs btw, the rings look fantastic, nicer than separate LED's imo :)

I dont I am afraid, Could have a play and try and work it out. I have all these to play with, although I may use some for a new Project

I think it is Dark tint perspex, Which is easy enough to do if you can cut it to shape, well thats what it looks like in this picture !!

I have just red that he does uses a dark tinted acrylic, this means that they are like Heckler LED tails but with an Dark Acrylic disk and COB rings behind it, Mine vary from the toxic ones as I have not wired them all internally as the Toxic guys has, this is simply enough with the dark acrylic discs but with the Red/Amber/Clear lense in place I am not really sure how he routed the cabling ( not that its that thick )

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0257/3399/products/2013-06-24_20.59.12_copy_1024x1024.jpg?v=1398631353

Edited by mattdavies (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Here they are fitted to the car, I will be seeing a friend to get the black lines polished off. I am happy with them for now but think I might make another set as these only utilise rings for the tail lights nothing else. I am hoping to LED ring for brakes and indicator next but still keep the clear look.

Here they are off :

Here it is on & indicator :

And the two rears together :

So Last night was the first time I got to see them in the dark and take them out on the open road, they work well but are bloody bright. They are brighter then my Brake lights :/

I will investigate dulling them down utilising some resistors, but in the mean time from a MOT perspective does anybody know if Brake lights have to be brighter then rear lights ?

Anyway here is a picture of how much light they kick out