The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What no ABS !!!

Lez

Had a scary moment this morning. Stamping on the brake at 30mph to avoid a car coming out of a side street, all the brakes locked up, smoking and screaming they were, (so was I, there goes the rubber).

What happened to the ABS? (don’t answer yet!) I’ve never had any ABS problems in any of my other Supes. So what’s wrong?

Opened the bonnet to find that this 94 J-spec doesn’t have it fitted, well I don’t think it is. I thought it was standard, not optional.

Should the ABS actuator be mounted on the front left inner wing, the other side from the brake servo?

Has anyone retrospectively fitted ABS?

Does this mean, I don’t have Traction Control as well?

ABS... becoming a bit of a pet subject of mine. It was optional on early cars, certainly NAs. I don't know about TTs. I didn't realise this when I bought the car and had assumed it would have it! From a small sample of cars, it appears as if most early NAs don't have it.

You can tell if the car has ABS, because the pump will be near the bulkhead on the nearside wing - see picture. If theres no ABS then there is just an empty space!

While nothing is impossible, retro fit of ABS would be very difficult. As I see it the main problem would be the wiring, as the current loom doesn't support any of the ABS bits. Another problem is that the following bits need to be changed to fit the ABS wheel speed sensors.

- Front hubs and knuckles

- Rear hubs and carriers

- Rear drive shafts

Then of course you'd need:-

- ABS pump

- ABS ECU

- ABS relays

- New brake lines

So it is no small job. I'm guessing no ABS equals no factory fit traction control and it also means fitting the RLTC is a bit tricky (I'm still working this out!).

But on the bright side, think how much weight you've saved! Your car will be faster than an ABS one!

ABS Pump.jpg

Thanks weinelm, I guess you, me and lots of other owners are without the best safety device for a car with the best braking ability. We will have to develop a fast knee tremble to achieve the same result or drive more carefully, but then you can’t stop other drivers pulling out on you.

I just had a look under the bonnet in the hope that the wiring would be there as part of the standard loom, but it doesn’t seem to be.

Good luck with your quest to fitting it, I think I’ll leave this task for a while, let me know.

Guest Rays the roof

Got ABS on my 95 imported NA. Proved invaluable over the past few weeks!!!

:thumbs:

As for being tempramental, less tempramental than when the front end is wrapped round a lamp post - LOL!

I have ABS standard on my jap tt facelift. I know it's there cos 1) the ABS letters light up on the dash when you start up and 2) cos when some stupid woman pulled out in front of me into the fast lane on the m4 the other day, without looking in her mirror, I stamped on the brakes and you could feel that strong, juddering type of braking that you get with ABS - instead of one long skid and my car forcing itself up her exhaust pipe