The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help with wiring rear LED lights

johnd-mkiv

Just picked up a set of LED rear lights I want to splice the original looms into them as don't like using bullet connectors if I can help it.

I've read up a few posts on here but they all seem different. I have attached some photos in hope one of the wiring gods (heckler) can help me out :)

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

the picture of the loom looks ok to me... in simple terms... any wire with colour is positive, with white/black been earth. The only real sticky point is the side light/brake light. sidelight wire is solid green.

The preface lift looms you have are a little awkward to adapt to LED rears (one reason why I dont use them) - you will have to pull the contacts out, pulling the wires though. Snip the contacts off and solder the wire to the wires on the LED lights - word of warning though, the wires on the loom maybe a little difficult to solder too as the copper will be old and dirty.

The Guide Scoot posted only really applies to Facelift lights

The load resistor is placed in parallel with the indicator using the scotch locks.

the picture of the loom looks ok to me... in simple terms... any wire with colour is positive, with white/black been earth. The only real sticky point is the side light/brake light. sidelight wire is solid green.

The preface lift looms you have are a little awkward to adapt to LED rears (one reason why I dont use them) - you will have to pull the contacts out, pulling the wires though. Snip the contacts off and solder the wire to the wires on the LED lights - word of warning though, the wires on the loom maybe a little difficult to solder too as the copper will be old and dirty.

The Guide Scoot posted only really applies to Facelift lights

The load resistor is placed in parallel with the indicator using the scotch locks.

Thanks the looms I have the other not in the pic has different colours typically the one I picked up when reading into it.

With the looms I have do you mean I will just lose a bit of length in wire where I have to cut them at the bulb holder?

Thanks the looms I have the other not in the pic has different colours typically the one I picked up when reading into it.

With the looms I have do you mean I will just lose a bit of length in wire where I have to cut them at the bulb holder?

yup- only about 10mm or so - just cut them on the inside, is literally where the wire is crimped (I think) to the bulb holder/connectors