The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ultra reliable hard drives??

Chris Wilson

I seem to be having a torrid time with conventional hard drives of late, and have lost some treasured, if only sentimental, data. My latest failure, and these have been on different machines, was a Seagate 1 tb drive, sold as suitable for CCTV work, and advertised as an "Enterprise" drive. I used it to back up my e-mail once a night, and my desktop and browser settings. I also backed up another e-mail accounts data, so we are talking 25 gig plus database sizes for one and 10 gig for the other. I use Second Copy, one database is written verbatim, the smaller one, and the other big one incrementally. The drive, and in fact the PC it is within are less than 6 months old.

I can see all the data on the storage drive, and use it, but if I try and copy paste it to another drive it starts to do this, then just, puff, it's disappeared and not to be seen in the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit "My Computer" or in the OS's disk management tools. A reboot has so far seen the drive restored, but it has me worried. I seem to be able to transfer small amounts of data off it, but it vanishes after a minute or so of shifting large folders. Using drive Properties / Tools to do a check disk and repair it starts off fast then suddenly stops, occasionally restarting tediously slowly, until again the drive just vanishes.

Data recovery aside, and within reason cost aside, what currently available drives are ultra reliable in this sort of scenario, for backing up to? I am not worried about speed, and am happy to pay something of a a premium for reliability. The OS is on an SSD drive, but such is the size of modern user's databases the need for 1 gig sort of volume SSD's makes their cost pretty prohibitive.

Should I be backing up to some sort of array or RAID? Is backing up this sort of volume every single night, with the PC permanently on, abnormal for "domestic" hard drives? I notice the D drive I store on shuts down after a while if not accessed, and has always taken a while to gird its loins and get going again. Sleeping I think it's called, is this worse than leaving it going 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year?

Personally I'd prefer a media far more reliable than a perhaps 10 year old drive might be in the future, but almost unbelievably to me, a simple PC *USER* there appears to be no real large volume storage medium save some optically written discs, which might need dozens of them to store a few terrabytes of stuff.

Thank you! :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go for raid 1, mirroring if your system can handle it. It slows everything down alot though. Before attempting to setup raid, make sure your system supports it.

RAID 5 might be worth reading into aswell

What kind of OS are you using?

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. My home network is all hard wired, I neither have, nor want Wi-Fi. As an aside I have a probable unfounded fear of Cloud storage, because I can see companies going under, and also wouldn't me being out in the sticks on a pitifully slow connection make uploading this volume of data be unbearably slow? Thanks for the help, appreciated!

What's a NAS box? Could one be used for storage / backup, and can you do a mirror set up on one? Cheers.

I'll dig my motyherboard book out and have a look about what it supports. I assume it's down to the MB?

It sounds like you aren't going to need terabytes and terabytes of storage, so a small 2 bay disk enclosure (I like Synology stuff) running RAID1 (mirrored) config might be suitable. You'd be protected against a single drive failure, but if this just used as a backup of data you've already got on your main computer, you might only decide to go with a single drive anyway. Depends on how much resilience you want to pay for.

As for hard drive reliability, there's more info than you could possibly want to know here https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/ I'm currently using a few 3TB Western Digital Red drives, but it seems they have a higher rate of failure than newer Seagate or Hitachi. I'm not too concerned as they should last a lot longer in my environment than in enterprise use!

Get a 4 bay NAS device. QNAP, Netgear, Synology.

Fit, 4x 2Tb 5400RPM drives (low speed high reliability). Nothing trick like SSD's or Hybrids in a NAS. Then set them up as a RAID5. Stick to brands with warranties long enough to claim on.

RAID 5 allows you to lose a disk and the other 3 hold enough data to recover it, so when you stick the new one in it gets added to the array by the system automatically. It's good for performance and safety. Raid 6 and 10 offer similar but I don't think they are required in less that 6 disk arrays.

Happy to spec you something if you wish.

Budget Synology 2-bay enclosures, you'll need disks to add...

http://www.dabs.com/products/synology-ds214se-2-bay-desktop-nas-92X2.html?q=synology&src=12

http://www.dabs.com/products/synology-ds215j-2-bay-desktop-nas-9Y7J.html?q=synology&src=12

The first one is an older 3Gb/s SATA interface, the second one is £30 more but supports 6 Gb/s. For a simple backup drive it isn't likely to matter to you.

I really think 4 bay enclosures and RAID5 is overkill for what you'll want.

I wouldn't and dont use SATA drives in any business application unless it was archive only and running at least Raid 5.

SATA drives are just too unreliable in general, yes they are cheap but thats because they are essentially crap.

Don't be fooled by NL SAS, its a SATA drive with a SAS connector and a SAS algorithm, still poor on performance and reliability but better than normal SATA.

Full blown SAS drives are more expensive for a reason...better performing and much much much better reliability.

If you dont want hassle choose SAS drives.

Budget Synology 2-bay enclosures, you'll need disks to add...

http://www.dabs.com/products/synology-ds214se-2-bay-desktop-nas-92X2.html?q=synology&src=12

http://www.dabs.com/products/synology-ds215j-2-bay-desktop-nas-9Y7J.html?q=synology&src=12

The first one is an older 3Gb/s SATA interface, the second one is £30 more but supports 6 Gb/s. For a simple backup drive it isn't likely to matter to you.

I really think 4 bay enclosures and RAID5 is overkill for what you'll want.

RAID5 is more cost effective than RAID1 as you will be losing 1 disk out of 2

QUAD is the ONLY way ;)

Raid 5 performs very poorly and all performance goes out of the window when rebuilding the array after an inevitable SATA disk failure.

Yes, at enterprise level, but for home office use its not bad. Must admit I am spoilt at work since we run PureSAN ;) but cant recommend that for home use. I have run 3 RAID5 NAS at home for the last 8 years and I have not had a single issue with any of them. Latest being the Synology....

Yes, at enterprise level, but for home office use its not bad. Must admit I am spoilt at work since we run PureSAN ;) but cant recommend that for home use. I have run 3 RAID5 NAS at home for the last 8 years and I have not had a single issue with any of them. Latest being the Synology....

Ha yeah I suppose for a single home office it should be ok :)

Sorry, I got lost in the moment there, it wouldn't have been long until I would be saying nah you need a 7450c all flash 3PAR array :D

I wouldn't and dont use SATA drives in any business application unless it was archive only and running at least Raid 5.

SATA drives are just too unreliable in general, yes they are cheap but thats because they are essentially crap.

Don't be fooled by NL SAS, its a SATA drive with a SAS connector and a SAS algorithm, still poor on performance and reliability but better than normal SATA.

Full blown SAS drives are more expensive for a reason...better performing and much much much better reliability.

If you dont want hassle choose SAS drives.

I need to Google SAS, it means nothing to me, but the important question is "how much"? And where do you get them? Cheers.

That could actually work ;) Chris, whats the budget?

Oh it would work for sure... maybe just a little overkill :D

- - - Updated - - -

I need to Google SAS, it means nothing to me, but the important question is "how much"? And where do you get them? Cheers.

If you are only looking at a small amount of Data then 300GB SAS drives are pretty well priced at the moment.

You will also need to look at installing a SAS controller as I doubt your MB will support SAS.

Drive about £120 and controllers can be anything from, £80 to getting on for a grand, for your use though the entry level cards (around £80-140) should be ok.

If it's just simple file transfer, and not intense activity, I'd go for a 5 Disk NAS. Running RAID 6, using Western Digital RED disks.

This will allow 2 disks to fail before you lose anything. Speed is good for a home PC setup, but not great for Enterprise.

SATA will suit your needs, Chris, but not the Enterprise.

QNAP or Synology do some good NAS's, so I'd go with them. I personally use QNAP.

QNAP TS 569L = £600ish

5x WD RED 3Tb disks = £100ea

You'll have 12Tb of decent home storage then, and over a wired link, you'll get solid, consistent transfer rates.

RAID5 is more cost effective than RAID1 as you will be losing 1 disk out of 2

QUAD is the ONLY way ;)

You guys are talking about cost effectiveness of RAID5 on 4+ disks and SAS, for someone who is likely to only need a few hundred GB for backup? Please.