The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quickie about getting WINDOWS 7 onto my PC....

Jamesy

Hi I recently bought a computer and it came with XP installed - this is absolute s***house and I cannot bear to live with it any longer.

I wanted to upgrade to windows 7....

I wondered - can I just buy something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64BIT-SP1-OEM-Full-Version-DVD-Product-Key-/141443344445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20eeae283d and then stick it into the pc and upload it?

Will I lose all my current files and folders or will they still be there?

Will I have to re-load office 2003 disc I have?

Muchos :hi:

I'm not 100% sure if you can upgrade directly from XP to Windows 7 using an upgrade disk (my gut feeling says no).

I would backup any files you need to an external drive, then install W7 clean.

This means you would also need to reload office once the new operating system has been installed.

If you need any help with any of the above, then I'm sure plenty of members on here can advise

Thanks - I read a 1/4 of that link and it hurt my head :D

So I cant just do the upgrade and keep all my files and folders and office 2003 on there?

I literally I have to save everything on a memory stick, wipe it all out, re-install windows 7 and then office 2003 from scratch?

Thanks - I read a 1/4 of that link and it hurt my head :D

So I cant just do the upgrade and keep all my files and folders and office 2003 on there?

I literally I have to save everything on a memory stick, wipe it all out, re-install windows 7 and then office 2003 from scratch?

Correct.

This statement sums up the situation

Unfortunately, WinXP to Win7 is not among the direct upgrade paths for Windows XP. It can be done by going to Vista first, but that only works with certain systems, takes more time than other methods, and supports only 32-bit versions of the source and destination. In other words, if any 64-bit Windows is involved, a clean installation is required.

I think Windows 7 already comes with generic drivers to run the majority of common hardware.

Jamesy, it sounds like you don't have a recent backup of the data on your PC. It's a pain to begin with, but this is a good opportunity to fix that and then get into the habit of taking a regular backup going forward.

http://michaelsuess.net/it/yesterday-backup-song/

Ok i have on my system:

Memory: 3318 ram

6600 @ 2.4ghz

Does that mean i can go for the 32 bit or 64 bit please?

Sounds like your CPU is an Intel E6600 Dual Core. A quick google showed that it is 64-bit compatible. You can't deduce anything from the memory: you've probably got 4GB installed but your system only recognises a maximum of about 3.5GB: not surprising because you're currently running a 32-bit OS.

I'd need the exact computer model to look up if it'll definitely support 64-bit. The CPU is only a part of it. The motherboard (chipset etc) also needs to be considered.