The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T Turbo adivse.

ripped_fear

Hello again everyone, sorry for the influx of threads started by me recently. I'm out of my knowledge area and looking for some guidance.

I'm currently hitting the mechanical side of my car and looking into turbo routes. I'm a little short on cash so had decided to put this off for another year, BUT a used kit has popped up meaning I could accumulate the bits slowly, and this is do-able :)

The turbo kit I have been offered includes the following-

- Master power t61 hybrid t3 divided port vband output turbo (master power used garret components and core )

- Manifold

- Wastegate with plumbed in screamer

- Downpipe

- HKS piggy back ecu

-Potentially a rebuilt engine if I want it to

Been offered it for a decent price in my mind but no idea how much the remaining buts would cost.

If anyone could share there opinions on the turbo, and rough pricing on the additional parts needed that would be great. Im guessing I would need, clutch, drilled sump, injectors, lines for the turbo etc

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I've never heard of Master Power, which makes me suspicious to start with.

A T61 should be good for 500bhp or so, though. Should be somewhere around full boost before 4,000rpm.

Personally I'd steer clear of piggyback ECUs (signal fudgers) through bad experience. Up to you, though!

The reasons are valid as Jake has explained to me before. I would speak to Dr Jekyll he has done a fair number of N/A-T conversions. If you have got time to sit and wait for parts to come up then maybe look at what comes in the Whifbitz kit and then slowly collect all those parts.

Jake, I think Lee may have something in the pipeline for an NA-T kit from SRD too. This is only if he see's demand for the kit though.

I am going NA-T too in the near future. I think the one thing a lot of the big NA-T guys over in the states tend to do is delete the distributor and go COP setup. This is to create more room for the turbo and upgrade the ignition for tuning. Also an FFIM helps out with cooler air temp without flowing over the engine.

Also just to mention the best manifold I've seen out for NA-T at the moment is the Sound Performance F1 Manifold.

Rebuilding your engine could you make it stronger? So you can go.bigger turbo more power more tunning?

But like said above have a look at the kits to get an idea for bits needed :) look forward to the build thread for this :)

Yes! From my understanding the N/A block is completely the same as the GTE block just without oil squirter's. This means all aftermarket parts for the GTE i.e. Pistons, Rods etc will bolt right up. Also you'll want to upgrade headgasket too as the GE one raises compression but that's up to you what compression you want to run imo.

Check Mattison's build thread on here. He's built a 1000bhp GE engine

It takes some tinkering but not a great deal to get yourself to the same capabilities as a GTE engine. Ignition to Coil packs, oil squirters for the piston crowns and a bit of work on the oil pickup/drain for the turbo has you pretty much there.

Finding parts to bolt to the block however is not quite as easy, manifolds etc are a lot harder to come by.

You could just bypass the TT altogether by just getting the GTE long block and building the single separate from the car. That way you could have it ready to drop in. You would need an ECU and a loom, but the ECU would likely be required anyway.

Or Turbo what's already under the hood. :D Seriously the money you spend turbo'ing the NA will probably be far less than swapping to TT, going single, building engine etc. You've already got the base so go with it.

That all comes down to opinion and compromise. If you're a mechanic you can maybe get away with it. 4k-ish gets you a reliable 400hp drive in drive out.