The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA Overheating Issues

parasight

Hello,

I've just begun driving a 95 NA 5 speed, and it's not troubled me too much so far. Today, however, was another story. I left my headlights on, and then obviously the battery drained out. I jump started the car and sat it to idle for a while. About an hour later, I noticed the coolant temperature needle dangerously close to the red. I gave it a little throttle - about 2500 rpm for 30 seconds - and it cooled down, I'm guessing because of the higher fan speed.

Drove it home (about 6 miles) and the temperature stayed at the halfway mark as always. It's a bunch of dual carriageways with a few lights in the mix, so I was able to get decent airflow in, and kept the revs above 2k anyway.

I haven't checked the fluid levels since I've begun driving the car about a month ago - stupid, I know. Assuming the coolant level is fine, is there anything else I should check? I would think I'd need to replace the thermostat and the radiator cap, just to be safe. And do a complete radiator flush as well.

I'm just wondering if I've missed something here. Open to suggestions, advice, and some mockery. :p

Yes I'd replace the thermostat and rad cap and flush the whole system and not just the rad, get a hosepipe and run it around the block etc, keep an eye on your levels dude it only takes a minute.

Hopefully it will be ok after this ....do you have a rad fan shroud fitted? .......Depending on the outcome you may end up having to replace the water pump....

Edited by trebor69 (see edit history)

I had an NA about a year ago which caused me this problem. It would always overheat in traffic (at idle) Turns out my radiator was F****'D. replaced the radiator and Bingo! Not saying yours would be the same but try the Thermostat, Rad Cap etc before replacing all the more expensive things.

Cheers guys.

Peered into the radiator, could see all the way down to New Zealand literally. No fluid of any kind in sight :rolleyes:. Popped down to Halfrauds and got myself some top up, should solve it. Will do a system flush over the weekend and keep an eye on things. If none of this works, the replacements begin.

get a hosepipe and run it around the block etc, keep an eye on your levels dude it only takes a minute.

Hopefully it will be ok after this ....do you have a rad fan shroud fitted?

Didn't get what you meant by the hosepipe around the block bit mate?

Yeah I have a rad fan shroud.

Didn't get what you meant by the hosepipe around the block bit mate?

Yeah I have a rad fan shroud.

Disconnect hoses then put a hosepipe into the top hose (pack it with something so its a snug fit) and then run clean water through your system to hopefully carry any crap out....I also did this through my heater pipes (above top rear of engine where they go into the bulkhead) when I had a problem with it not blowing hot air and managed to get quite a bit of muck out.

Rad fan shroud will just help concentrate the fan on the rad.