The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tein HA shock issue

Homer

Unfortunately one of the rear shocks has started knocking, since these are very old shocks and no longer available I'd like some advice on what to do... I can imagine a repair will be quite expensive as it'd be a custom job and these units are not the best to begin with.

It's on my silver NA which I only wish to keep useable as a daily hack so do not want to spent a load of cash on an entire new suspension kit. Do any of you know if these old units can be fixed? Or any alternatives for a suitable cheap replacement apart from going back to stock?

My advice is not to buy this stuff in the first place, internally they are, IMO, stone age technology, using low quality materials. The "innards" of a Bilstein Sport damper is head and shoulders superior, and they very rarely give any issues at all. If you are hell bent on threaded height adjustment (and as it ages it's a total PITA as it WILL seize up), the entry level is probably Nitron to get anything half decent. It's certainly not worth even thinking about getting your Teins rebuilt.

Chris, I would never buy it in the first place, this is just what was on the car when I got it. I actually quite like how it handles regardless of how cr*p they are on paper.

So, the best option on this car is to replace the lot? Quite honestly, that would almost write the car off... Are there really shock kits out there for less than £200? Last time I looked at Bilsteins they were closer to £600 for a set which I could never justify on this car.