The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pilchard's First Supra

Pilchard

Been after a Supra for ages and after selling my focus st, i needed boost back in my life. After spending hours on here doing research and asking a few questions I finally own my first Supra

I originally was looking for a manual facelift VVTi but there were none for sale at the time and JM Imports wanted 14k to look for one. I downed my budget abit and found a JSpec Tiptronic for sale on here.

I bought it back in November, was a summer car and had the all the mods for BPU which I was going to do anyways, was white and looked in mint condition.

After negotiating a deal and picking it up, a few changes were needed.

When I picked it up:

The car has not been undersealed and that was my first priority as it was going to live on the drive in the winter, while that was been done I had the original spoiler put back on and resprayed.

The car was way to low to drive properly, scraped when turning and speed bumps were impossible so after much thought I took the car down to Chris Wilson and let him work his magic.

While down there it had full service, coil-overs rebuilt, made higher, boost changed, fcd and other little niggles that needed sorting

Picked it up this weekend from Chris and gave it a clean.

Very happy with the work done by Chris, pulls like a train now and the kick down in the auto box is insane compared to what I was used to when I first bought it. It does like to spin up when pressing on, so I just need to get brave enough to turn the TC off.

The spec is as follows:

HKS Induction Kit

Decat with HKS Superdragger Exhaust

SRD FMIC

Walbro Fuel Pump

Blitz Boost Controller

Chris's FCD

HKS BOV

D2 Coilovers

UK Spec Brakes

Visual wise the alloys and bonnet are growing on me, it had a Auto Shine Carbon diffuser on which was taken off. Not many changes here, I might change the alloys to some white Rota Grids but its not a priority at the moment. A nice white trial diffuser would be nice to neaten the back end up

Other plans include getting better and non stretched tyres (F1's or Pilot Sports), race logic unit and a louder exhaust.

Got battery problems at the moment with the alarm and I have no washer jets which will be sorted soon. Booked in for a dyno run in 2 weeks.

I know ive gone on a bit but hopefully Il be along to a few meets with this club in the future.

Edited by Pilchard (see edit history)

Thanks all!

A few mates wanted me to keep the spoiler off but i wasnt convinced, now they agree it looks way better.

The purple under bonnet bling is still there and I dont mind it, its definatly growing on me.

Ive always wanted a white one and that was the only one for sale at the time, and i didnt want to wait any longer.

Im from Sheffield, ive seen the thread in the Yorkshire section, i may pop along and meet everyone!

Thanks all!

A few mates wanted me to keep the spoiler off but i wasnt convinced, now they agree it looks way better.

The purple under bonnet bling is still there and I dont mind it, its definatly growing on me.

Ive always wanted a white one and that was the only one for sale at the time, and i didnt want to wait any longer.

Im from Sheffield, ive seen the thread in the Yorkshire section, i may pop along and meet everyone!

We have a few members from Sheffield, Drew and Ric. You defo need to pop down would love to see this motor in person :)

Ive met drew before, took me out in his before I was looking to buy one. I want to see fast 7 so ill see what im doing and come down:)

Only problem at the moment is the stretched tyres and the lack of grip even in the dry. The TC is on all the time when you put the foot down, the Race Logic kit looks decent but a bit pricey brand new. Whats the general opinion on these?

Consider decent modest width tyres and a Giken LSD, the tyres that are on it felt terrible, and the stretched stuff is just plain ridiculous. Proper tyres will make a huge difference. As t is most of the power is wasted. I have yet to find a cheap GOOD tyre, you get what you pay for. If you want decent wet weather traction don't go too wide or too low a profile. The MKIV's now relatively ancient suspension technology doesn't suit very low profile tyres, it needs tyres with sidewall compliance due to the poor rear camber control.

I think the alloys are 8.5inch, so what about, 245/40R18 Front & 275/35R18 Rear on either F1's or Pilot Sports,the Pilots arnt great in the wet but great in the dry, the F1's are good all round tyre at about £20 cheaper, any others I can look at?

Great looking car :cool:

235 front and 255 rear should be fine for BPU. The money you save over going for wider tyres can be put back into buying a better tyre. :)

Also, I would highly recommend replacing the stock Tiptronic steering wheel with a paddle shift conversion. There's a 'how to' in my build thread. :)

Budget is not that much of problem but with English weather even in the summer I think an all round tyre would be better, What do people use?

Ive seen your conversion thread, it looks very smart and ive not really driven it in manual mode as its a bit fiddly at first.