The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Locking Wheel Nuts: Lost Key

Guest Jam

P1ssed off. Found that my tyre was flat today so went to kwik fit to get a new one. Gave the dude my locking nut key and decided that they had no tyres. Gave me it back (i think) and last i seen of it. Does anyone have any good methods of safely removing the lock nut? I have no security codes in the McGard packet so i think im goosed for a new one! The Nut is female so i cant drill it. Would be hard to drill the side of it and split it beacause the alloy would be in severe danger of gettin even more goosed!

:mad: :stupid:

ive heard the dreaded halfords sell a tool for it. but im betting its sh1te! I was going to email McGard but wasnt sure they could help me. Ill drop them a line and see whats on offer!

Thanks Paul

ive heard the dreaded halfords sell a tool for it. but im betting its sh1te! I was going to email McGard but wasnt sure they could help me. Ill drop them a line and see whats on offer!

Thanks Paul

Got to be worth a try mate! They are obviously not going to suggest ways to remove them (no sh1t!) but I'm sure they will be able to give you a list of distributors up North. As long as you can prove the car is yours and everything is legit then I think you'll be okay!

Just bought a set myself and am carrying the removal tool around with me as I'm paranoid about leaving it in the Soop! Need a great hiding place in the car for it! Any good suggestions?

Good luck!

Paul

iv'e removed locking nuts on a few cars now, i use a impact socket which is one size smaller than the nut and hammer it on.some locking nuts have a tin type cap over them which has to be removed first. i also have the locking nut removing kit but it never works on quality nuts. have not failed yet on removing wheels. :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

place the socket on an extension bar...

place over the end of the locking nut and whack the fcuker with a hammer... the locking wheel nuts are made of a very soft alloy that will give way to the hard steel socket

eventually the socket will embed itself onto the locking nut which should then be able to be removed wioth a normal ratchet

Check out a local tyre supplier, kwikfit, ats, national tyres that sort of place.

They should have a Locking Wheel Nut Remover Kit. I can't remember the name of it now (I think it is made by Taskmaster) but I have used it myself a couple of times. It claims to be able to remove ANY design of locking wheel nut.

It works a treat though it does ruin the nut itself.

Check out a local tyre supplier, kwikfit, ats, national tyres that sort of place.

Definitely. When I bought my Supe, the guy couldn't find the locking nut key. I completely forgot until my rear pads completely wore out and started scraping the discs. Fortunately I was passing KwikFit at the time so I pulled in. Then I remembered... No locking nut key. D'oh!! But KwikFit removed them pretty quickly. One nut was a problem, but the rest came off without too much trouble... And they were pretty good locking nuts too! The guy in KwikFit told me they have to do it all the time and it's pretty routine.

Of course, the nuts were a little messed up in the process so I had to buy a new set.

P.S. They did it exactly as described by UKSupra earlier in this thread.

it was kwik fit that lost it! i got it off using a halfords 13mm socket. did what that dude said earlier...didnt read that till now though! 3 came off ok but one was a problem, and had to resort to a HOLE SAW! :O

Its all a ok though!

If i could PROOVE they lost it then i would not only be demanding £30 for lock nuts but £120 for new alloy aswell!

I cant proove it they are adament (SP) they gave me it back so nowt i can do!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know whether you have this solved, I lost mine 6 months back, I changed a tyre on a dark night and lost the lock nut. A friend who is a mechanic got all four off in about 5 minutes by wacking them with a huge hammer and a tool he had (as above). It was "terrifying" to watch, but it was literally one smack each, no damage done at all (the nut just split in half), had the aligment check later, spot on. Anyway..... Another way if you know a garage that does welding is to have a bar welded onto the nut (so you can turn it), apparently this works too.