The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another dreaded insurance thread - Single turbo, heavily modified insurance

Scott

Firstly I apologise for this thread. There's stacks of them on here and while I've searched around I'm still struggling for where to begin looking for insurance and what to expect when I call up. I just need to know what I should be armed with prior to calling.

My car is completely modified. There's barely an item or panel that's stock other than the windows. How does that one go when calling an insurance company for a quote? Should I take a half shift to list every single mod, or is the general consensus that its modified to hell and is worth "xxxxx" to me cover it?

Next, I'm definitely looking for agreed value. I'm guessing it's a pretty niche market to have agreed value along with unbelievably modified? Really need recommendations on who to call and who not to waste my time calling. I don't want any sales "we'll see what we can do, lets run through the quote" patter while the end result is that they can't offer agreed value. I did email (or PM, I forget) Sky but I got no reply and I read somewhere that they no longer offer agreed value.

My current tune is probably around 200hp, next to no boost and a completely safe map. I want to run the car around as a minor shake down to make sure everything works OK and she doesn't spill any fluids on a little load. My end goal is around the 650-700hp mark. Where do I stand with insuring the car here. I'm guessing there isn't much wiggle room or reasoning that goes into this. I just explain the modifications and list the end goal as my power, rather than confusing the situation with the truth?

Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My mod list would read like war and peace and I'd be paranoid about missing out some insurance voiding stainless cap screw.

I went with sky insurance bud spoke to the guy on the phone and declared everything. They sent me out a form to declare all my mods and from bpu to single it didn't cost me anything to declare the extra ponies. There's also club discount.

Do they do agreed value though? As I said, I did email them but I got no response. Can you even imagine my mod list? :D

I'm with Adrian Flux on agreed value policy.

I have disclosed everything. The mod list was around 2 sides of A4. Got it for £580 fully comp. No voluntary excess with 9 years protected no claims. That's also with 2 extra people fully comp on the policy.

Now you're talking! :D

Im with admiral multi car. I told them its a Twin turbo supra aerotop that's had a single turbo upgrade, inter-cooler alloys and its manual. agreed value of around 14-15k mark and I got a excellent quote ( I'm surprised they even insured me as im 23 with the mods declared ) oh and thats with no, no claims bonus or 2 years mirrored cover from my 6 NYC on the daily.

I never got asked what the BHP was for it :/ ?

Its a iffy one weather to declare mods or not? is it even legal not too? or is it reading between the lines?

Insurance always gets me worried :( what happens if you forget a mod or have one added later in the year?

my quote I think was around 600 mark

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Im with admiral multi car. I told them its a Twin turbo supra aerotop that's had a single turbo upgrade, inter-cooler alloys and its manual. agreed value of around 14-15k mark and I got a excellent quote ( I'm surprised they even insured me as im 23 with the mods declared ) oh and thats with no, no claims bonus or 2 years mirrored cover from my 6 NYC on the daily.

I never got asked what the BHP was for it :/ ?

Its a iffy one weather to declare mods or not? is it even legal not too? or is it reading between the lines?

Insurance always gets me worried :( what happens if you forget a mod or have one added later in the year?

my quote I think was around 600 mark

If they ask if its been modified then yes you have to declare it. If in doubt you should enquire as to what they want declared, although most will be quite specific. Adrian Flux and Sky Insurance in my experience will have modification reports that require disclosure of all mods which alter from factory. Clearly that wouldn't include such things such as non OEM oil and air filters etc.

You could be in for a nasty surprise if you haven't declared the fact that the car is modified and you get into a scrape. When you agree a statement of facts you enter into a legal contact in which you agree that you have truthfully answered the questions. There is a specific offence for failing to declare material facts for the purpose of obtaining a certificate of insurance under 174(5) of The Road Traffic Act 1988.

I would suggest that if you have disclosed a big old list of mods but omit an item I think it unlikely this would cause too much of an issue.

I went with sky insurance bud spoke to the guy on the phone and declared everything. They sent me out a form to declare all my mods and from bpu to single it didn't cost me anything to declare the extra ponies. There's also club discount.

:yeahthat:

I have agreed value with Sky on my current policy. BPU NA-TT agreed at £8500. I'd be better off writing it off than selling right now! I'll be fighting to keep that value too.

Like you Scott, mine is heavily modified in the looks department, and after going through it with them, they put it down as "full body kit" which included the front wings.

I declared everything on mine, and got it to £750 (paying £75 a month over 10 months).

Have you set a limited mileage? As mine is now a second car, it's limited to 4k miles a year, and I only did 1500. That dropped it quite a bit.

I gave Sky a ring last night, spoke to Luke who was very helpful. He said that agreed value shouldn't be an issue so I'm very happy about that. Once it came to the modifications we ended the conversation in order for me to make the list, it was fairly large lol. I've emailed it into him so hopefully I will hear something back today.

Lancaster insurance are on my "to call" list. I'll hopefully get them today :)

Once I've tried all the avenues I can find I'll list up who I have tried and what options there were. Just for anyone in the same boat in the future :)

Thanks scooltt that would be great :) would it be a good idea to cancle my policy for.my car and put the 6year no claim bonus on the supra and start a new 0 year no claim bonus on the daily? oh and im 23

im going to have to get a quote of admiral.again as it looks like they didnt even take what is said.over the phone its still.down as a Tt gz manual 2door.with alloys and no.other mods.

I said it was single tubby intercooler exhuast interia changes I said it was a auto and it is now a manual

I hate insurances

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

If you were in an accident the insurance company would never pay out for you, not sure of the legal implications for an insurer voiding your insurance due to not declaring mods but I wouldn't be taking the risk regardless.

To be honest you'll really struggle to insure a single tubby at your age nowadays. You'll likely need a serious amount of wedge put away for insurance if you want to do it above board.

If you were in an accident the insurance company would never pay out for you, not sure of the legal implications for an insurer voiding your insurance due to not declaring mods but I wouldn't be taking the risk regardless.

To be honest you'll really struggle to insure a single tubby at your age nowadays. You'll likely need a serious amount of wedge put away for insurance if you want to do it above board.

Let us know your findings on your search.

:) And I have declared they just didnt put them down. Has really annoyed me. Im a honwst person and I too would want everything declared.