The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Noisy vehicles...

Benjy

I'm not usually one to rant about the noise a car makes, but this week, I'm starting to get the hump.

Whenever I start my car (fitted with an HKS Silent Hi Power) at home, it's on tickover until I'm a reasonable distance away from my immediate neighbours, and until I'm out of the private road, it's driven sedately, whatever time of the day or night.

One of my neighbours has just bought himself a motorbike. Yesterday morning, he decided to take it to work at 7.30am. But for some reason, he felt the need for 3, BIG revs of the engine before he set off. He managed to wake my 18month old son up, allbeit half an hour before he'd usually get up. I came home tonight, and he was outside fannying about with it. He fired it up, and was revving it up constantly for about 5 minutes before he eventually shut up. This is virtually right outside my front room window, so I said to the wife that if he carried on I'd ask him to keep it down.

This evening, we put the baby to bed at 6.30pm as usual. At 7.30, All of the sudden, there's the almighty roar of a Subaru with no cats and a massive can. Stupid RPM whilst slipping the clutch WHILST PARKING HIS F*CKING CAR! Guess what!? Now my kid's wide a-f*cking-wake WHY do idiots do this? Seriously!?

I live on a private road, 20mph speed limit, and an obviously residential area. Is it too much to ask for people not to act like total helmets around where people live!? Should I just go 4" with no silencers or shall I carry on being the ONLY considerate person around here!?

I live in a little culdesac and there's a guy opposite me with an Astra with a baked bean can on the back and he's always blipping it. It doesn't matter what time it is, he can't help himself. I can't help but laugh sometimes as it's amusing to think it's sometimes for my benefit as we both like cars. The only difference is, both me and Sabrina park our cars aiming in the right direction so when engine springs to life, it's immediately shoved into drive and we're away on idle... with, hopefully, no car alarms going off as we leave. :D

Some people just live in their own little bubble. I had the pleasure of house sharing for a few years when I first left home and came close to killing some of the inconsiderate f*cks!

I know how you feel Ben, minus the baby factor.

I don't have a crazy loud exhaust, just a HKS Super dragger. But even then at night I let the Supra roll if I am out at night back to the driveway and a little bit of gas to park up that's it.

I never understood why people would rev there engine on start up. I always thought you want let the car tick over before revving it. There are a lot of inconsiderate people out there, I never speed pass my road, nor do I try and attract attention to myself. I mean why would you try out of your way to annoy your neighbours?

Having run Supras with Superdraggers and Silent Hi Power, I know how noisy they are. The low frequency 'hum' on idle and low revs is very audible inside buildings nearby. Especially so with the Superdragger.

I don't think you can modify a car with a reasonably loud aftermarket exhaust and then complain about other vehicles making noise.

Having run Supras with Superdraggers and Silent Hi Power, I know how noisy they are. The low frequency 'hum' on idle and low revs is very audible inside buildings nearby. Especially so with the Superdragger.

I don't think you can modify a car with a reasonably loud aftermarket exhaust and then complain about other vehicles making noise.

But I don't try and annoy people more by revving and driving at night time at high speeds, I literally let my car roll down the little slope and back on the drive way with minimum sounds.

If my misses hears me driving down the road she complains to me lol shes more vocal about noise more than anyone and she has been telling me to keep in quite or its going.

But I don't sit outside revving it, or come ripsh*tting down the road knowing full well that the noise coming out the back of my car is going to annoy everyone and potentially wake sleeping children.

As far as Supra's go, mine's relatively quiet. So much so, Budz described it as a Prius at a Bluewater meet.

My sister's got an Impreza with a 5Zigen system on it, and when revved, it's obnoxiously loud. But there's a time and a place. Once I rebuilt the engine in it, I ran it for a week and used it from home to work and back, and even that I managed to drive onto my estate and park under 1500rpm. Plus, if you need 4-5k rpm to park, then you're a div!

But I don't sit outside revving it, or come ripsh*tting down the road knowing full well that the noise coming out the back of my car is going to annoy everyone and potentially wake sleeping children.

As far as Supra's go, mine's relatively quiet. So much so, Budz described it as a Prius at a Bluewater meet.

My sister's got an Impreza with a 5Zigen system on it, and when revved, it's obnoxiously loud. But there's a time and a place. Once I rebuilt the engine in it, I ran it for a week and used it from home to work and back, and even that I managed to drive onto my estate and park under 1500rpm. Plus, if you need 4-5k rpm to park, then you're a div!

If I was you I would start a collection of two stroke motorbikes and I'll come round and help you fire them all up at random times every day.

I have a lot of spare time coming up soon, for the right price I'll make it my job to piss off your neighbour.

If he's revving the engine regularly infront of other people's houses, then he's a pratt. But the noise your car makes will probably annoy other people, whether you intend to or not.

I'm not disputing that, but I have the common decency to keep the noise from my car to an absolute minimum. I don't use a residential area as a race track. I don't rev it, so much so I can hear the BOV chirping whilst trying to park. Nor do I sit with the arse of my car upto someone's front room window, revving the engine repeatedly, just because I *think* I know what I'm doing. There is purely and simply no need to repeatedly rev any engine repeatedly whilst wandering around your car/bike, admiring it and pulling your plonker.

I can hear a tiny, tiny hum from my car if the Mrs is out in it. It's marginally louder than stock.

Be a man ask him nicely and if that doesn't work break his feet so he can't press the peddles.

The dude with the bike's a neighbour. The dude with the Impreza is visiting someone else. If the neighbour persists in revving his bike for no reason, I will. The dude with the Impreza works at a garage near me, so when the opportunity arises, he'll be getting told.

Plus, if you need 4-5k rpm to park, then you're a div!

I agree Can you tell my misses this as she revs the hell out of her little car and I've tried telling her this and she gets in a right huff, even more so when i park the car for her keeping it below 1500. :p

but i agree with you for the OP there inconsiderate and quiet words may need to be said as thats unfair on your children and others

I'm not disputing that, but I have the common decency to keep the noise from my car to an absolute minimum. I don't use a residential area as a race track. I don't rev it, so much so I can hear the BOV chirping whilst trying to park. Nor do I sit with the arse of my car upto someone's front room window, revving the engine repeatedly, just because I *think* I know what I'm doing. There is purely and simply no need to repeatedly rev any engine repeatedly whilst wandering around your car/bike, admiring it and pulling your plonker.

I can hear a tiny, tiny hum from my car if the Mrs is out in it. It's marginally louder than stock.

Surely not on cold start? I'm well aware that my car shakes front doors when I roll away on idle (on cold start).

Mine really isn't that loud. Even when the 2nd turbo comes online, I can still hear the turbo's over the exhaust, unlike some I've driven with Nur Specs and Super Draggers. I generally don't hang about once it's fired up either. As soon as she's running, she's in D and rolling away.

Either way, I am concsious that it could potentially piss people off, which is why I try not to make a nuisance of myself, unlike these pair of fools that want the world to know where they are!

Amen,

There are two cars on my housing estate, someone recently bought a spaceship civic in white, nicely modified, but loud obnoxious exhaust. And the ginger hamplant who drives it rags it around everywhere... Badly. I walk my dog in the night where hsi aprents live I think, the temptation to leave a note saying "stop driving like a ****" is overwhelming.

Another is a grey Toyota Aygo, covered in those tragic 'meme' and 'funny' stickers like LOW LIFE and PHRESH with calligraphic writing on the windscreen. It looks like a standard exhaust... But drilled or something, sounds hysterically bad... But it's loud so it annoys me.

When I enter someones street/cul-de-sac I keep the engine on tickover and turn my music down, out of respect for the neighbours. I get cringingly embaressed when I'm in someone elses car and they leave their music on pretty loud in somsones street. Old before my time?

***EDIT BY ADMIN TO REMOVE INAPPROPIATE LANGUAGE*** Not a word we want on here please.

Live and let live, when petrol heads start complaining about the sound of engines then there is something wrong with the world ;)

Of course there is a sense of 'reasonable' to be put in to the equation, but if they are one-offs then as a guy who is in to sports cars etc. then let other's enjoy theirs.

If its not reasonable behaviour then definitely have a polite word.

I do know that people who have had their motors for a while can get used to the noise levels and forget how far the sound travels.

reving cars get you women!!!!! doesn't it?

THAT's why they do it!! :rolleyes:

:D

I better not come and visit you then lol

You're welcome any time John. As long as you promise to switch pop and bangs on before you leave, just to show my neighbours how easy they've had it! Lol

Some people are just noisy selfish scum who don't consider anyone but themselves. A lot of people are like that actually. I keep the noise down in my cars especially at inappropriate times and even in my flat I stay quiet. My scumbag neighbours were playing music, guitar etc at full blast until 6am last Friday. Some people honestly need a bullet just for their attitude and for not being a considerate human being.