The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Timing / Cambelt Kits

mattdavies

I need to replace the timing /cambelt on my BPU TT, I have seen on here people running HKS / Gates / Other kevlar belts.

My question is, is this needed for a BPU Supra ? or can I get one from my local Motorfactors / GSF ?

From what I have read the main parts that need changing are then tensioner pulley and the belt itself, and the tensioner if not in spec.

How often is the tensioner out of spec considering mine is at 120,000 miles

I would only ever go to the expense of a Kevlar reinforced timing belt on engines that do not have automatic belt adjusters. For example i would use one on an RB26DET or DETT enhgine, as they have manual adjusters that are a pain to get at unless they have a belt cover mod done. So a belt that doesn't stretch is quite desirable.

On a 1 or 2JZ with their automatic adjusters there's no need for a Kevlar reinforced belt, IMHO. Kevlar belts are quite abrasive and tend to wear out cheap (none hard anodized) alloy pulleys quite quickly. Hard anodizing is black, so if your alloy pulleys are not black they are probably not hard anodized, although there was talk of some place attempting hard anodizing in other colours. Whether it ever worked i don't know, but never heard any more about it :)

I would only ever go to the expense of a Kevlar reinforced timing belt on engines that do not have automatic belt adjusters.....On a 1 or 2JZ with their automatic adjusters there's no need for a Kevlar reinforced belt, IMHO.

I was never going to go to the expense of a Kevlar belt but none the less this is good information

I just used the SKF kit from Euro Car parts and its dead on

This is what I was looking at, potential quality issues ?

I wouldnt have thought so tbh, the skf is the expensive kit as such but they have a good reputation for producing quality pattern parts. On a BPU car Im sure it would be no issue. I have it on mine with a big single and vernier cam pulleys and the car is running well in excess of 600bhp

I've thrown so much SKF shite back at Euro Car Prats that, along with their lies and other sub-standard tat, it turned into a bit of an argument, and now I'm banned. Again. Last time they got a LOT of money in £1 coins and smaller in a Sainsbury's bag for life. This time around I owed them £1500 and offered to deliver it in a wheel barrow!

For the difference in cost, is it worth risking going for Euro's shite over OEM?

Spoke to Steve Manley today, he said most toyota techs just change the belt.

Quite possibly. Do you know it's ever had a tensioner? I'd be inclined to do it whilst it's apart. It may not fail, but if it does, it could, best case scenario, cost you the labour of the job again, and worst case damage the engine.

Afaik 2JZGTE is non interference so if the belt goes i dont think it causes any damage you just kind of get caught with your pants down. Could be wrong though

Could well be right. Autodata has been known to tell lies but I've not had a Supra belt go on me yet to find out. Lol

Could well be right. Autodata has been known to tell lies but I've not had a Supra belt go on me yet to find out. Lol

Is it based upon original specification though.... It doesn't account for head skimming and gasket changes which as far as I understood would effect the interference factor...

Back to the origins point, change for oem belt, while its in pieces change the tensioner, its a no brainer...

It would be like changing your brake disks but not the pads, it simply isn't worth not doing....

Guest Budz86
Afaik 2JZGTE is non interference so if the belt goes i dont think it causes any damage you just kind of get caught with your pants down. Could be wrong though

I was always under this impression too although as Rob says, if the block has been split at any point, it may not be anymore!