The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Discussion: have we lost our individuality?

zaheer0027

I have been riding road bikes since i was 9 years old. In the past, my daily use to be my 2002 yamaha r1. I joined r1-forum.com and obviously followed the same modus operandi as we all do on the forums ie.learn, discuss, talk shit, etc.

However I found with bike forums the community is more individualistic. Most people choose to go their own way in terms of modding and what we want out of our machines. Now bare in mind when I sold my bike in 2011 I stopped visiting the forum so maybe things have changed but this has been my experience.

I have only taken any interest in car forums since owning my supra (2 years now) and my experience thus far in the car community (not just the supra community) is most people just want to follow what everyone else is doing and are swayed by public opinion.

so what do we think? Have car owners lost their appetite for creativity? Has the car modification scene simply evolved to where it is now? Interested to see where this discussion goes.

Theres only so many parts out there for the cars, you're going to get some people using the same stuff.

I tried to be as unique as i could with my project but ultimately it's down to what i like and want.

Like all aspects of life, theres always going to be a fashion which comes and goes and what people will follow, the CCW classics era etc etc.

I have been riding road bikes since i was 9 years old. In the past, my daily use to be my 2002 yamaha r1. I joined r1-forum.com and obviously followed the same modus operandi as we all do on the forums ie.learn, discuss, talk $#@!, etc.

However I found with bike forums the community is more individualistic. Most people choose to go their own way in terms of modding and what we want out of our machines. Now bare in mind when I sold my bike in 2011 I stopped visiting the forum so maybe things have changed but this has been my experience.

I have only taken any interest in car forums since owning my supra (2 years now) and my experience thus far in the car community (not just the supra community) is most people just want to follow what everyone else is doing and are swayed by public opinion.

so what do we think? Have car owners lost their appetite for creativity? Has the car modification scene simply evolved to where it is now? Interested to see where this discussion goes.

People that tend to mod on there own do it at great cost, (power wise). As it takes time to find what works and what doesnt

Most people go with known reliable proven safe mods learning from others experiance a sort of R&D,

But looks wise most do as they please apart from the select few that want to be in the bigger boys cool gang that follow the current trend.

I guess in the bike world its not so expensive if it all goes wrong and styling is limited

With the Supra being over 20 years old, it is getting more difficult to make your own individual Supra

You also get the factor that you build something as a one off and 6 months later someone has built something very similar as they like yours

I have now seen 2 Supra's very similar to mine, one in the US is pretty much a direct copy, except they didn't quite get a couple of my custom parts quite the same, but it is close enough

The problem is individuality, I think it is the limited to what can be sensibly done within usability and taste

I think it is also a cost thing, buying parts and sticking them onto your car, is relatively cheap compared to custom parts or even extensive modification of existing parts

The only true way to have a one off car is to build from the ground up and use totally custom parts, but once people see it, if they like it or parts of it, that stays in there mind when they build there own. I guess it is sometimes just an influence rather than a total copy

Individuality is costly and very difficult without some influence from somewhere.

My build I just tried to use the stock curves and enhance the stock shape, but make it more aggressive, while making it a one off by combining off the shelf parts in a way no one had done before, as well as a fair bit of custom modification

Most externally modified cars on here are very different. The only ones that seem fairly similar to me are the ones who wish to remain stock. I don't believe that's people following one another though, there's just a common goal of purity among those members.

I don't mind people hating my car at all. I built it for me. I only go to meets for the social side of things and have continued to do so with my various other cars while the Supra has been in the garage. I built my car for me, not for shows and the like.

Heaven forbid there were more of me :blink:

I love the stock look. I dont intend to go for big power but that will proberbly change, but for il be building the car I want with custom parts that I will add there be small but personal. A big thing for me is stock body with a nice set of wheels I love the ccw classics bit there are plenty with them now. That said instill think I may get some at some point for the look i want but I will.be shopping around and looking for something different.

As said before it take time and money to get something you really want. I like the rat look compeltly bonkers I feel this done to a supra may suit it but also I dont think it would. It may also result on a ban :p

I love the stock look. I dont intend to go for big power but that will proberbly change, but for il be building the car I want with custom parts that I will add there be small but personal. A big thing for me is stock body with a nice set of wheels I love the ccw classics bit there are plenty with them now. That said instill think I may get some at some point for the look i want but I will.be shopping around and looking for something different.

As said before it take time and money to get something you really want. I like the rat look compeltly bonkers I feel this done to a supra may suit it but also I dont think it would. It may also result on a ban :p

A rat look supra would definitely deserve a ban!

But looks wise most do as they please apart from the select few that want to be in the bigger boys cool gang that follow the current trend.

Apparently if you want to be cool you have to keep it stock bodied. :D

Seems to be the American thing to do, which is spreading into the UK scene aswell. All it will take is a certain few to whack a BGW on and that'll be the next big trend.

Most externally modified cars on here are very different.

Yep. Pretty much one extreme to the other.

I love the stock look. I dont intend to go for big power but that will proberbly change, but for il be building the car I want with custom parts that I will add there be small but personal.

A big thing for me is stock body with a nice set of wheels I love the ccw classics...

Small but personal, yet it'll still look like everyone elses? :confused:

A rat look supra would definitely deserve a ban!

A ban. And a beating.

And that's what's happened with the TRD spoiler [emoji231]

I've always wanted a TRD wing, it just took me forever to get around to buying one as other things took priority. Like power and stopping. And a Trial rear, which is STILL at the bodyshop. :(

This is what happens when someone tries to do something no one has done before!

I wouldn't do something purely to say it is individual to me as every single supra I have seen is individual to the owners. I would only do things which I like, which I find interest in. Doesn't mean I have lost anything in my individuality, just means I am doing what I would like without listening to someone say your car looks the same not realising they own the very same car. :)

I'm staying stock bodied, as I bought the car for its OEM styling. I like some bodykits also, but like my cars stock (ish).

People do follow trends and some go against the grain, same can be said about society I guess.

:)

I think there's plenty of originality on here. Just as a brief example, compare SteveM, JamieP and Jamesys cars. All running big power, but all 3 are very different yet equally desirable. We have everything from stock Supras, big singles and even a high compression NA V8.

e variety of cars is one of the best assets of this forum. :)

This is what happens when someone tries to do something no one has done before!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/the-clubhouse/3138d1004548955-look-at-this-ugly-supra-uglysupra1.jpg

I wouldn't do something purely to say it is individual to me as every single supra I have seen is individual to the owners. I would only do things which I like, which I find interest in. Doesn't mean I have lost anything in my individuality, just means I am doing what I would like without listening to someone say your car looks the same not realising they own the very same car. :)

I love that car. It's like someone intentionally went out to ruin every curve on the Supras body. :D you would be hard pushed to make a Supra uglier.

I get where you are coming from, I dont think its that bad on the Supra front... it VERY bad in the R35 GTR scene. Most mods are "staged" so pretty much all the cars have the same power level and some run slightly different exhausts.

I have tried to be different with mine, with some of the wrapping, dipping and ducktail on the exterior, but even that is becoming more popular. I do have plans for a custom front bumper and rear spoiler which should set the car apart from most others.

The individual choice and mod is very much still alive with cars. With a bike everything is on show so the seat, the bars the grips and exhaust all form part of the cosmetics. With the car scene the interior is all hidden until the door is opened.

The bike scene is very different to the car scene and the two will never be the same.

I get where you are coming from, I dont think its that bad on the Supra front... it VERY bad in the R35 GTR scene. Most mods are "staged" so pretty much all the cars have the same power level and some run slightly different exhausts.

I have tried to be different with mine, with some of the wrapping, dipping and ducktail on the exterior, but even that is becoming more popular. I do have plans for a custom front bumper and rear spoiler which should set the car apart from most others.

That definitely seems to be the case with UK R35'S, but the Japanese are a bit more adventurous with theirs.

That definitely seems to be the case with UK R35'S, but the Japanese are a bit more adventurous with theirs.

Definitely with the ones that hit mags and blogs, but what about the "standard joe" cars.... we do have the odd one that stands out, but most are the same.

What I want to know is how a bike can be "unique" unless it's a custom framed bike, buying a few carbon panels makes no difference. I just find the whole bike affair lacking unique style completely. Whereas a car can look completely different.

You couldn't be more wrong. Unique could mean many things. Do you want a race replica? Mimic a 90's stroker? Street fighter? Stock standard. Do you want a stock standard looking bike with built internals pushing sbk levels of power? Cosmetically sure there is no variety as there is in the car world but being "unique" has many other connotations. Speak to any seasoned or experienced biker and he can enlighten you.

I thought we agreed never to darken this forum with that image again!!?!?

Oops sorry Ben! :D

I love that car. It's like someone intentionally went out to ruin every curve on the Supras body. :D you would be hard pushed to make a Supra uglier.

Tell me about it, just wondering what was going through their minds when they did that. Especially the front lights, did they seriously stand back and go... "Yep, that looks a whole lot better" :D