The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear end rebuild

Hey,

I have been rebuilding this car and tackled the rear end this week, the car had a strange knocking coming from there and to be honest, it was pretty scary looking.

I decided to drop the subframe and strip out the back and refurbish it. The subframe was blasted, stitch welded and coated. The car was running the old NA brakes

and all the bushes were worn so it was a great time for an upgrade anyway.

I have noted all the torque settings of all the bolts in the rear of the car and will post them up tomorrow with a diagram as the references I found were a little hectic.

More should go on fairly quickly once I have new wheel bearings pressed in. Just a few various pictures, still more floor to refurbish but nothing is in the way, shouldnt be any dirt left to get in my eyes :eyebrows:

Ill update things as I move on..

wheelold.jpg

wheelnew1.jpg

crossmemberold.jpg

crossmembernew.jpg

mountold.jpg

mountnew.jpg

undernew.jpg

underassembled.jpg

newwheel.jpg

Hey Ric, ill report back on the arms and will give updates on how they are holding up, the stuff seems good quality and cleanly welded/reinforced.

Pedro, fortunately with the sub frame being clean the mount goes in a little easier, I am still waiting to receive one of the mounts so this couldn't hold everything up.

Should be another update on Tuesday evening, until then ill draw up a map with torque settings..

What arms are they mate? Looks like a good job

The arms are from driftworks, they seem very solid, ill report back on how they affect the ride for anyone who is interested.

What bushes did you go for on the subframe mountings both back and front of the rear subframe?

I went for stock bushes on the subframe and on the diff polys on the ears and stocks on the rear.

Nice job so far, reminds me of the fun I had when I did mine last year

Yours looks real clean mate, did you give the same treatment to the front? I would love to see some pics of it, I will be doing the front within a month.

Haven't touched the front end yet, will do that next winter. I'll add a couple of pics when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments, it is real clean as you say. Full nut and bolt restoration of the complete under floor and rear suspension