The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tomei Rods & Pistons

Jellybean

Is anybody running Tomei Rods and Pistons

HKS rods in conparsion to the Tomei are alot more expensive 1200 euro versus 768 euro

With regards the bore 86.5 or 87 ; what determines what bore you go for?

Is it down to if the block was honed before so you starting on an OEM block at 86 you would go for the 86.5 and leave the .5 in as a safety net incase you needed to re-bore it again

I run Tomei pistons (forged but with a hollow crown, like the stock cast pistons in the 2JZ-GTE and RB26-DETT) and Tomei rods in my RB26 Skyline engine. The pistons were spot on to size, barell and ovality, and the rods were sot on for sizes and straightness. Balance was excellent out of the box. Whilst I still wince at the price of the Tomei pistons and the Tomei oil pump they have been great, and I would use them again if I had to. If you have been given a price for the Tomei stuff feel free to send it me, I may be able to beat it you would like me to try?

I have said this before, anyone would be totally mad to fit new pistons in old bores. Rebore to the first oversize they will clean up to and finish hone to size to match each piston once you have them in your hands. New pistons and rings in used bores is like putting lipstick on a pig.