The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet jammed and a flat battery

Branners

Not driven my Supra for a few weeks and the batter hasnt got enough charge to start the engine.

I have a portable jump start but the bonnet wont release on the near side catch.

Any tips on how I get this fixed? I cant get the car to a garage to have the bonnet released as I cant start the car, and I cant start the car as I cant get to the battery!!

Any thoughts?

jack the front of the car up , remove the under tray and then you can get to the release cables with the white joining thingy pull it there and it should release

It's not the cable thought it's the catch sticking. He can pull the release no problem as it's realeasing one side.

Try and bump start it?

Can you bump start an auto though ?

It's not the cable thought it's the catch sticking. He can pull the release no problem as it's realeasing one side.

How do you know that the cable is not the problem? are you there ? have you checked ? one side might have come out the white joiner thing thats why its not realsed ?

Also it does not state its an auto!

How do you know that the cable is not the problem? are you there ? have you checked ? one side might have come out the white joiner thing thats why its not realsed ?

Also it does not state its an auto!

Good point didn't think of that and I know it's an Auto becuase I have seen the car plus it says so in his signature :D

jack the front of the car up , remove the under tray and then you can get to the release cables with the white joining thingy pull it there and it should release

I had the same problem a while back, and that is exactly what I did. The cable on one side had gone slack/snapped.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Looks like I'm going to have to either get the front jacked up and try going past the undertray, or call out the AA even though I dont have homestart on my account.

If I can get the car started I can drive it to a garage, but I cant bump it as its an auto.

I did get a set of pliers and pulled the cable from inside the car and it still wouldnt release, so it seems to be jammed on one side. It just doesnt even release teh bonnet at all so it is fully shut.

Bugger.

As above. This is what I did when the bonnet catch wouldn't open on my old dears Uk spec. Two small screws and the handle comes away and you can then pull the cable further. Worked with me, ordered and changed the cable and both catches to make sure it didn't happen again after.

Has to be worth getting someone else to pull the lever, whilst you lift / close / tap / lightly thump the bonnet.

99% of the time if the release feels as though it's not snapped doing this *VIGOROUSLY* will free it. Keep the lever pulled firmly and get someone to push hard up and down on the bonnet. Use a taped screwdriver to lever the front up gently if normal agitation fails. Need 2 people...

Rewire the cigarette lighter to be permanent live rather than switched and use a CTEK Cigarette Lighter Connector to charge from the accessory slot.

Along these lines, if you were to work out which of the clock connections had a permanent feed you could theoretically stick a trickle charge down that to get the battery charged, would take a while but should work, but only use a trickle charge.

Or, drop the steering column cowl and pick up the live feed on the back of the ignition switch and charge it from there.

Won't fix your bonnet issue but will get you moving. Have you tried getting someone to jiggle the bonnet while the pull is being pulled?

Tried pulling the cable hard while pushing and banging the bonnet and still wouldnt release.

Found a charger at Halfords that will give a charge to the battery via the ciggy lighter, not really happy doing that but will give it a go and see if it helps.

It will need to be rewired to be permanent live rather than switched.

It will need to be rewired to be permanent live rather than switched.

I still have some juice in the battery so I can get the lights on the dash to come up. The instructions say to turn on the ignition and leave it like that for 15 mins, but unplug before you try turning the car over.

It may not work but I'm no worse off so hopefully it does the job!!