The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Valve stem seals

Tyson

Whiffin quoted me approx £800 for VSS and Cambelt, this is with the head on and does not guarentee to solve the problem as it could be worn valve guides

Usually the quotes are circa 1k but lots of people do their own- sure there is a thread on here on how to do it.

Assuming that's with labour ?

I would just get it all done at once and forget about it, doing it with the head on is very time consuming compared to taking the head off so probably around the same price for head off and valve guides done , versus messing about with the VSS and the head in situ

I would also look into getting a stage one head off Paul and exchanging yours , will be all refreshed and minimal down time; save on installing yourself

I would just get it all done at once and forget about it, doing it with the head on is very time consuming compared to taking the head off so probably around the same price for head off and valve guides done , versus messing about with the VSS and the head in situ

I would also look into getting a stage one head off Paul and exchanging yours , will be all refreshed and minimal down time; save on installing yourself

I won't be tackling something like that myself and Paul is too far from me. I will be dropping it off most likely a Chris Wilsons.

£700 plus VAT done with the head on and my Teflon coated seals used. Only caveat is nothing is seized up, I have had the odd issue with crank damper bolts and cam cap bolts that have seizeed in the caps. rare, but would add labour if they were a big issue. No guarantees they will cure smoking, as Whifbitz say, the guides may be shot, or it's often hard to differentiate between bad turbo seals. Doing stem seals on a "smoker" next week as it happens, with the head on. I have special tooling to do them without butchery or Heath Robinson improvisation :)

£700 plus VAT done with the head on and my Teflon coated seals used. Only caveat is nothing is seized up, I have had the odd issue with crank damper bolts and cam cap bolts that have seizeed in the caps. rare, but would add labour if they were a big issue. No guarantees they will cure smoking, as Whifbitz say, the guides may be shot, or it's often hard to differentiate between bad turbo seals. Doing stem seals on a "smoker" next week as it happens, with the head on. I have special tooling to do them without butchery or Heath Robinson improvisation :)

I sent you an email Chris, how much if you take the head off to do it ?

As long as it takes, the cars are too old, and I am too wise to give a fixed price, too many things to have seized up, rounded off or plain knackered.

A head refurb is not cheap, 24 guides, 24 seats, maybe some valves, probably exhaust ones, may be needed.

Ballpark park figure just to gauge wether it is viable for me to do now ?

As I said, won't quote, a head off job and head rebuild is a totally different proposition to a head on seal job. Over £1800, plus VAT, depends on the state of the guides, seats and valves. Full set of turbo gaskets is costly. Usually under £3K unless the head's a scrapper. The guides need linering, knocking the guides out and fitting new leaves the valves off centre, you recut the seats and the valves are pocketed, meaning poor flow and custom valve shims. Linering isn't cheap, I get them done on a Sunnen machine that floats the head on an air bed. As the machine is about 70K they charge a fair whack, but the valves aren't pocketed when the original guides are used to pick up the centreline....

I got quoted this here

To rebore block,machine hone & deck block incl gapping ring’s & fit ring’s to piston’s budget about 450.00 euro.

It’s hard to price the head really as we don’t normally replace the guides unless they are really worn.

But budget about 650.00-700.00 euro to cnc cut valve seat’s & throat’s,machine finish & fit your seal’s & spring’s.

Allow another 100.00 euro for to set valve clearances.I would have to inspect it to see if it need’s guides.