The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need advice about a buying a house and changing my offer.

Al Massey

Hello all.

So the Mrs and I made an offer on a house, but after the lawyers did a search, it turns out the drive way is a shared driveway when we were told it belonged to the house.

Now we really like this house, but this shared drive could really screw us over down the line.

So I'm torn between pulling out completely, Or still go ahead with it.

Or changing our offer on the house because of this.

What are your thoughts or advice, I'm a first time buyer.

The house is £172500.

Here's a picture of the drive/house

[ATTACH]197954[/ATTACH]

http://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/photos/33170235#&ui-state=dialog

Never heard of a shared driveway before. By shared is it wide enough for cars side by side? Or is it a case of, first home from work gets it? If it's the latter and that's the garage at the back it would do my nut it!!

Find out if it's possible to buy the drive so the deeds say it's only belongs to said house.

Like bright colours that owner didn't they!

Always a difficult one this.

1st problem with a shared driveway is that you can never leave anything in it (car, trailer, caravan etc.) so you are limited to whatever drive there is beyond the shared section.

Second problem is the neighbours. They may be great right now but they won't be forever. They could move or have a dramatic change in circumstances which turns them into your worst nightmare. What if the neighbour blocks the drive, what do you do next if he/she gets stroppy?

Personally I would avoid the shared drive. Even if you drop the offer and the lower one is accepted the drive will still be shared. I'd look elsewhere mate.

I'd avoid the shared driveway. PITA potential is huge.

What aout this one? Same postcode, similar price, 4 bed detatched, large garage and driveway for two. Garden isn't as big by any means, but lovely looking house for the price. In my area, you could double the price for that house :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=197966&stc=1&d=1424953809

What aout this one? Same postcode, similar price, 4 bed detatched, large garage and driveway for two. Garden isn't as big by any means, but lovely looking house for the price. In my area, you could double the price for that house :(

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=197966&stc=1&d=1424953809

That's good for that money. I'm paying the same for a new build 3 bed semi with a garage! Need to move north I think!

I share the same sentiments with everyone above. A shared drive is an issue imo. Especially laid out like the picture.

Well the reason we want this is because it's 4 bed with other large rooms.

Has a double garage.

Which was my requirement on any house we want to look at.

Not the whole drive is shared.

We can park in front of the garage as that is owned, as shown on the deeds.

I do understand that it can be a pain in the arse.

But we could reconvert the front of the house to a drive.

The bottom floor room used to be the garage and had a drive in front, which is what the next door neighbour is like.

Skippyboyo, all houses are too expensive lol.

This problem can be easily solved Al...

You see that green bit in front of the house? Get a lawn mower and sort it out... You now have your own driveway Job done. :D

That's what I was planning on doing anyway, I hate gardening lol

Is there any reason for the shared driveway? Looks like a single driveway to your double garage.... have the lawyers made a mistake?

No there is no reason, it was a covenant stained in 64 that both houses had access rights to the drive.

The house I'm buying actually owns more of the drive.

The deed shows the drive is 14ft wide and we own 10ft but both parties have access over both sides.

But in front of the double garage is definitely the house we intend to buy, and the next door garden is tiny, so they wouldn't need any access to it.

The next door also has a garage built into the house with a drive directly in front.

It's the deeds and the covenant that's the problem.

But the land can be bought if a sale is agreed.

as a first house, I would be looking else where - little bit more money now, lot less hassle. Also keep in mind that shared access has a negative association and will impact you if/when you decide to sell. As other have said shared property can be a PITA.... my neighbour is right PITA and we dont even share a driveway, they just dont like my car (too loud :))

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=197966&stc=1&d=1424953809

same here cant even get half the house for that money :(

Looks like Im going to living with parents for a while longer :) just sucks not having a garage for the supra. maybe il move up that way :)

This is why the North is better lol

Unless it's in York, then you need to sell a kidney and lung just for the deposit

id happily move, would probably land a ok job with good money its the other half i worry about. Don't think she would like to be away from family. Looks like a nice house though just a shame about the drive issue. id be put off it personally. Good luck :D

This is why the North is better lol

Unless it's in York, then you need to sell a kidney and lung just for the deposit

Nonsense, down south is better even if it costs £500,000 for a small house... all worth it for the tropical weather we get here :D

Me and my partner have just bought our first house and we almost bought a few houses by being excited and thinking "this is the one"

My only advise would be if something is make you question the house then maybe ita not right for you!

Theres always more houses to view and the perfect house for you will come up!

We waited 9 months to find our house but it was well worth the wait!

This house ticks every box for me.

The drive could be an issue down the line, and it does worry me, but everything else is great.

My number one on my list was I wanted a double garage or big enough area to build one.

The missus isn't bothered about the drive, as I can use the garage, park my van in front of it and she can park in front of the house.

And she loves everything about the house.

We've been looking for nearly 2 years.

And one this size doesn't come up very often.

Do you think I could change my offer to a lower amount and learn to live with the drive?