The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota to auction Supra for charity

Gaz6002

Press release:

Lovers of Toyota rarities and exotica have the chance to own a piece of motoring history in a charity auction for Comic Relief. Toyota, an official partner to Red Nose Day, is inviting bids for two unique models from its UK heritage collection: a Supra, fully kitted and liveried to match the world-famous Sony Gran Turismo car; and a wild version of the 1990s Picnic MPV, packing a rally-bred 2.0-litre turbo engine.It’s hoped the mean machines’ unique qualities will attract plenty of interest and boost Toyota’s mission to raise £1 million to support Comic Relief’s great work in the UK and Africa.

Scott Brownlee, Toyota’s General Manager said: “This is a truly one-off opportunity that we hope will attract lots of attention from the legions of Toyota fans. Both cars were developed here in the UK to demonstrate a more off-beat, street-savvy side to the brand.”

The auction is being hosted on the Pistonheads website (Picnic, Supra), where eager bidders can offer their best price. Bidding opens on 23 February and will continue through to 13 March, when the winners will be announced.

The Supra is one of the last of the UK models, a 1996 version that’s beefed up with a host of performance components. The 3.0-litre in-line six engine produces around 370bhp, driving the rear wheels through a four-speed auto ‘box. The 5×19 Ace 130 alloys are fitted with 235/35×19 tyres. There is a full body kit, including boot spoiler, plus lowered suspension using Eibach dampers.

The looks match the muscle: the Supra is finished in full Castrol racing livery to replicate the look of the world-famous Gran Turismo game car. In the cabin there is a matching full-leather interior and a powerful Kenwood audio system feeding a suite of Memphis speakers via a 2,000W class D amplifier.

The Picnic was a typically clever Toyota MPV that proved a popular family choice in the 1990s. Toyota GB’s press department wondered what it would be like if the car was fitted with a 210bhp 2.0-litre turbo engine from the mighty Celica GT-Four. The result was the Picnic Sport Turbo, a unique, street-legal Q-car that can move from 0-62mph in 7.5 seconds. It comes with lowered suspension, a heavy-duty clutch and a hot red leather interior.

Every penny raised from the auction will go to Comic Relief’s projects helping transform the lives of people here in the UK and in Africa.

It's this car:

I have always wondered why this particular car is so "iconic", as its been already said its a UK Auto with some stickers..

To me its just a overrated, stickerbombed road car with a ugly body kit and a sound system.

If it was actually a race car (where stickers look the part) well then thats a totally different story.

If it was a JGTC car then that would be far far better.

It was very cool at the time and I know it looks like turd now, but we loved it! I was working for Redline from 2000-2004 and Toyota UK approached us about modifying a Supra for them to use as a promotional tool after we'd finished. We kept it for around 2 years and took it to all the shows and as I say, at the time it was very cool and bang on trend. Tastes have obviousley changed and I kinda wish that Toyota had changed it to suit the current fashions, but hey ho! I'm sure it'll make a few quid at auction after all, it is a genuine UK car.

I have always wondered why this particular car is so "iconic", as its been already said its a UK Auto with some stickers..

To me its just a overrated, stickerbombed road car with a ugly body kit and a sound system.

If it was actually a race car (where stickers look the part) well then thats a totally different story.

If it was a JGTC car then that would be far far better.

I don't think it was iconic as such, but it was very popular as it was a Redline Magazine project car and at the time we were selling near on 100,000 magazines. At the time, it was pretty rare to see modified Supras in the UK tuning scene.

I don't think it was iconic as such, but it was very popular as it was a Redline Magazine project car and at the time we were selling near on 100,000 magazines. At the time, it was pretty rare to see modified Supras in the UK tuning scene.

Are you a goldfish..... or do you just really really like this car?