The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need advice - TT hybrids vs small single

Tommyd16

Hi I know this has been probly been covered alot. I've been reading and researching and can't decide.

I have a TT auto BPU (intercooler, hks ssqv, greddy bcc, double decat, 3" cat back, apexi filter, Walbro 255 fuel pump, greddy profec boost controller) and an oil seal has gone in the turbos.

I can get these refurbed for circa £450 with steel internals that should be good to run at 1.4 bar. Then I went down this route in afew months I would get some 650cc injectors and an AEM FIC.

- a lot of people say hybrids are a waste and unreliable.

So the second option is to go small single. If I did this would like something fast spooling and aim for 550bhp.

Once again I would get 650cc injectors and could I run a single with greddy profec and a piggy back ecu?

- which manifold and turbo would be suitable for what I'm after. Noting I'm on a budget.

- how long will the turbos last if an oil seal has gone? I only use the car on weekends.

So do I get the turbos refurbed and hybrids at the end of the month or save for a small single?!?

If you are on a budget, only use the car at the weekends for fun and happy with bpu I would consider buying the very low mileage set of turbos from James (tuftleshead). Unless you are doing the work and sourcing the parts yourself, going single is likely to cost you a heap more.

Hi I know this has been probly been covered alot. I've been reading and researching and can't decide.

I have a TT auto BPU (intercooler, hks ssqv, greddy bcc, double decat, 3" cat back, apexi filter, Walbro 255 fuel pump, greddy profec boost controller) and an oil seal has gone in the turbos.

I can get these refurbed for circa £450 with steel internals that should be good to run at 1.4 bar. Then I went down this route in afew months I would get some 650cc injectors and an AEM FIC.

- a lot of people say hybrids are a waste and unreliable.

So the second option is to go small single. If I did this would like something fast spooling and aim for 550bhp.

Once again I would get 650cc injectors and could I run a single with greddy profec and a piggy back ecu?

- which manifold and turbo would be suitable for what I'm after. Noting I'm on a budget.

- how long will the turbos last if an oil seal has gone? I only use the car on weekends.

So do I get the turbos refurbed and hybrids at the end of the month or save for a small single?!?

Going single and on a budget should never be used in the same sentence, there's going single and going single reliably two very different things. Unless you are doing the work yourself and are willing to wait a year or two to get parts second hand at a cheap price, all it will do is cost you more in the long run when the cheap parts you buy inevitably fail. The hybrids will be more reliable than a budget single.

I would never waste my time with hybrids every again , ( depending on what stage hybrids )

I went all out with stage 3 hybrids larger compressor and bored out housing and turbine , lasted a year was rated at 1.6 bar and let go at 1.5 they did make good power though as i set the highest twin terminal speed at suprapod 2012 ( i think maybe 2011).

but because they was stage 3 I had to change:- ecu , injectors , fuel rail,fpr.

the hybrids cost £1,400 which you can pick up a decent single turbo for which would out perform the twins .

low milage stock turbos FTW , ( but for obvious reasons they are getting thin on the ground )

The hybrid route is great of done proper! Mine are rated to 1.6 bar and have been on the car for over 4 years now and not a single problem! With the correct supporting mods you can see high 400bhp numbers, just look at my sig below and you will see the power im making!

but when you say proper ! you spent the same as going single doing it which defeats the point .

hybrids are hit and miss mine where a miss sorry to say nothing you can do about machanical failure of an input shaft .

but when you say proper ! you spent the same as going single doing it which defeats the point .

hybrids are hit and miss mine where a miss sorry to say nothing you can do about machanical failure of an input shaft .

Only reason it cost me more than it should of is because I went manual aswell ;) at the time I had never planned on chasing on more power so was happy enough spending a lot on the set up. Some people think it's stupid but others don't, according to SRD nobody really pushed the hybrids as much as we did, so was good to push them and see what numbers we got. It's running TTC so when I'm running full 1.5/1.6bar it feels like a small single set up anyway and pulls like a train.

It's running TTC so when I'm running full 1.5/1.6bar it feels like a small single set up anyway and pulls like a train.

Just out of intrest when do you see full boost on your hybrids in TTC , my hybrids where noticably laggy even in squensial ,

I bet your set up is more like a big single rather a small one :p

Just out of intrest when do you see full boost on your hybrids in TTC , my hybrids where noticably laggy even in squensial ,

I bet your set up is more like a big single rather a small one :p

Yeah they are quite laggy but once they get going its great :p I will check next time i take the car out in the dry and see when i hit full boost

Yeah they are quite laggy but once they get going its great :p I will check next time i take the car out in the dry and see when i hit full boost

I just checked on your build thread on page 55, very similar to my T67 results even with spool ,only I run at 1.3 bar due to auto.

I'll put my T67 here so the op can compair stock twin TTC vs T67

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?259093-project-vegetable-sup&highlight=vegetable

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

Very rarely do hybrids produce results that are worthy of the hype. You can spend a good chunk of a single budget for 20-30bhp and a potential ticking timebomb.

Save, go small single and do it properly. A well spec'd single Supra is a hell of a car, and aiming for a small turbo with 550bhp and near-instant spool is the best compromise for our roads, IMO.