The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shane's new build.

Shane

Thought as I had finally made as start on the latest project I would share it with you.

I just can't make up my mind what final direction I will go with the build.

It was going to be a diesel conversion, then a V8 road car, then a V8 drag car, but then after chatting to various people and doing a bit more research on the 1UZ I have realised that its not the direction I want to go. I am getting great times with my BPU and it seems a bit pointless putting all this effort into a build that without loads of cash chucked at it is not really going to compete with my existing car.

So, have decided to stay with a 2j, but in which form the drive train will go is still up in the air, I do have a few options and still considering NA-T but still may go another route yet.

But for now I figured I had to get the car back together. The car a TT J-spec used to belong to Adam "Hacking & Bashing" who I believed killed it, then James (Turtle) got hold of it and stripped it completely and then late last year I bought it from him as a shell and boxes of parts.

James originally sent all the chassis, subframe and suspension bolts away for cleaning and treating in anti corrosive protection, and I now have bags of these all ready for building the car up again.

So here's a picture of it as it was delivered courtesy of James and his Dad Clive.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197724&stc=1&d=1424687788

attachment.php?attachmentid=197727&stc=1&d=1424687989

Then we had the task of getting the dolly out from under the shell which due to the angles of ground it is on turned out to be a nightmare. But after a bit of struggling and the use of several stands and old bits of timber we got the dolly out.

and then Suprasteve1979 donated the missing wing, cheers Steve!

attachment.php?attachmentid=197726&stc=1&d=1424687973

attachment.php?attachmentid=197725&stc=1&d=1424687953

So as you can see I have a lot of work ahead. I have made a start and in the next day or so will add the latest pictures of the front sub-frame going back together. I am getting there now with the collection of parts I need and I have most of the components to get it back to a rolling shell. Big thanks to James for all the bits he has provided since buying the shell from him.

IMG-20140922-00074.jpg

East Northamptonshire-20141026-00191-resize.jpg

East Northamptonshire-20141026-00195 resize.jpg

East Northamptonshire-20141026-00196 resize.jpg

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Just to build something different, well sort of as toyota already did it why not buy a Rev 3 MR2 Turbo engine and give it around 500 ponies parts are cheap and the engine will be a pleasure to work on in a huge bay like the Supra andddddddd its all Aluminium so should bring a nice weight advantage from the 2JZ.

Just spit balling of course.

Just out of interest which diesel lump were you thinking of putting in it ?

I was looking at the OM606 and if I am honest haven't 100% ruled it out yet. I run the 5 cyl version OM605 as a daily and its indestructible with bags of torque

Just to build something different, well sort of as toyota already did it why not buy a Rev 3 MR2 Turbo engine and give it around 500 ponies parts are cheap and the engine will be a pleasure to work on in a huge bay like the Supra andddddddd its all Aluminium so should bring a nice weight advantage from the 2JZ.

Just spit balling of course.

That would be a different twist.

TT head on an N/A Block... then custom turbo kit with a cast manifold... You know it makes sense. :D

This is the most likely at the moment, but need to concentrate on getting the thing movable first.

So here's another shot of the front and the 1UZ I was going to use and behind that a GE I have had lurking for a couple of years.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197735&stc=1&d=1424700282

East Northamptonshire-20141204-00270 resize.jpg

So, one of the first things I did was send a few parts off for powder coating, there is a reason I went with white...its free.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197741&stc=1&d=1424700704

attachment.php?attachmentid=197744&stc=1&d=1424700835

I was hoping to take the black car to RWYB at the weekend, but as the weather was rubbish I started putting the front sub-frame back together again. James had removed all the rubbers from the ball joints so I made a start on fitting new ones. Bit fiddly but soon got the hang of it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197746&stc=1&d=1424701183

powdercoat rs.jpg

pc close up rs.jpg

WP_20150221_16_37_10_Pro resize.jpg

God luck with the project. Are you doing it all yourself?

Thanks Ed, yes. That's where my main interest with Supras is I guess.

So the next thing I set to work on was cleaning up the rack, it was absolutely plastered in thick grease and crud. But despite it's appearance seems to be in good condition. Rubbers in tact and no play noticeable.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197753&stc=1&d=1424702610

All the parts that had been treated look great:

attachment.php?attachmentid=197759&stc=1&d=1424703009

By the end of the day and just in time for the pub, it all looked like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=197755&stc=1&d=1424702879

rack resize.jpg

ready resize.jpg

resize.jpg

I was looking at the OM606 and if I am honest haven't 100% ruled it out yet. I run the 5 cyl version OM605 as a daily and its indestructible with bags of torque

That would be a different twist.

This is the most likely at the moment, but need to concentrate on getting the thing movable first.

So here's another shot of the front and the 1UZ I was going to use and behind that a GE I have had lurking for a couple of years.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=197735&stc=1&d=1424700282

What about a twin turbo bmw lump ? That would go like stink too.

What about a twin turbo bmw lump ? That would go like stink too.

Yes but its the electronics that become the stumbling block. Even on the older Mercs the canbus and other on board systems mean its never going to be a straightforward transplant, mechanically yes, but there is so much to take into consideration. Canbus systems, speed sensors, immobilisers, traction control to name but a few and of course all inter connected in some way.

Big block Chevy on a basic management system. Ali block if funds permit. Yank auto box, some tunnel bashing, if you don't do so many miles the appalling fuel consumption becomes an issue it would be a relatively simple and cost effective way to huge torque and reliable high power operation.

And have a soundtrack that would set off car alarms and start earthquakes :D

Big block Chevy on a basic management system. Ali block if funds permit. Yank auto box, some tunnel bashing, if you don't do so many miles the appalling fuel consumption becomes an issue it would be a relatively simple and cost effective way to huge torque and reliable high power operation.

A couple of years ago at the Ace meet there was a guy turned up in a Mkiii with a small block v8 and it looked good, in terms of space to work and simplicity.

Nice thing is that with this being a bare shell pretty much I have a blank canvass.

I'm very biased, but I do love V8's. Agree that the Toyota units need cash thrown at them to get big power out, but it is possible, and you can always bolt on some forced induction. If you did something like Chris says, you'd have a big choice of how you went about it. Buy a crate engine perhaps with all gubbings needed, or build a unit up yourself keeping it simple.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. It looks like I will be going with the Lexus V8 I have.

The spare NA engine I had which I was toying with sticking an TT head on and using on this build, I ended up using in the wife's NA after she killed hers..

It had stood for 4 years and fired into life relatively easily which is good, but it has forced my hand with this build now really and I will be using the 1uz. Hope to get one or both of the subframes bolted up over the coming weekend and will take some photos.