The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon 3-spoke Steering Wheel

Stevo

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put up some pics of the latest project I've been working on. Tried to take some at each different phase but typically kept forgetting :(

Anyway, I had a spare 3 spoke wheel lying about so thought I'd have a go at creating my own carbon wheel given how expensive they are!

So first I cut off the leather from the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and masked off the rest of the wheel prior to putting on the base resin.

20150108_173833 (Medium).jpg

Next up was to wrap the carbon on as carefully as possible, trying to protect the weave:

20150110_103317 (Medium).jpg 20150110_103241 (Medium).jpg

At this point I forgot to take pics but basically the next stages consisted of putting the first layer of epoxy on, letting it harden off and then trimming it. Once trimmed I just kept building up the coats of resin until I'd reached a good depth.

Next I needed to flatten it back until I was happy with the shape and feel of it - i.e. no lumps, bumps, runs etc. The whole thing was rubbed back with 320 grit paper and then a few more coats of resin applied before a final flat back with 600 grit (shown in pics below)

20150131_100344 (Medium).jpg 20150131_100148 (Medium).jpg 20150215_141146 (Medium).jpg 20150215_141229 (Medium).jpg

Once I was happy with the look and feel, it went off to have the final top coat of UV resistant lacquer applied and this is how it stands now:

20150220_164338 (Medium).jpg 20150220_164425 (Medium).jpg 20150220_164440 (Medium).jpg

There are a few pinholes in the lacquer that need filling by hand tomorrow, then it'll be sent off to have the other parts of the wheel (3 & 9 o'clock positions) retrimmed in a nice nappa leather with contrasting stitching.

I'll update this thread with more progress pics.

:yeahthat:

I've got a TRD wheel that I wouldn't mind the entire leather bit carbonised!!

Not sure I'd want to mess with an expensive TRD wheel mate - would rather start with a bog standard one and coat that entirely in carbon. Plus I'm not actually sure whether I'd be able to match up the weaves in the different carbon.

Not sure I'd want to mess with an expensive TRD wheel mate - would rather start with a bog standard one and coat that entirely in carbon. Plus I'm not actually sure whether I'd be able to match up the weaves in the different carbon.

Worst case mate I can get it retrimmed in leather for £100 which needs doing as it is. Might be worth a dabble!

It's not a TRD wheel that instantly springs to mind, it's like a 330mm Nardi wheel with TRD stamped on it. Not sure on a value anyway as it came with my last Supra.

Cheers for all the positive comments lads. It was a bit of a ball-ache to do to be honest due to the carbon weave needing to be wrapped in more than one direction!

I'll need to finish this one before I can accurately give a price as to how much it would be, as the price would have to include having the leather on either side retrimmed too. There is no way I could take a wheel, skin just the top and bottom parts and be left with a decent finish between the carbon and the old leather - the process is just too messy and it would look crap.

On the plus side, this gives you the option to have the rest trimmed in either a good leather, perforated leather or even Alcantara, along with choosing the thread colour.

I had my current stock wheel retrimmed to match other interior bits like this:

P1080420 (Medium).jpg

That's do-able so long as the leather is being replaced at the same time. Its just a plain weave carbon compared to the 2x2 twill that I use.

Out of interest mate how much does the retrim of the wheel cost? Also i will get some detailed pictures of the lip in the week and forward on to you.

From what I remember Jake, that wheel was £100 but I'm not certain as other bits were done at the same time and my receipt didn't break down the individual parts. That was using genuine Alcantara.

I prefer the carbon you've used, and I would want the leather retrimming too :) black perforated leather with either black, red or mid grey stitching.

I would probably want a gearknob doing to match too. :) Probably an oem manual one with a carbon top section and black leather lower part. :)