The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery recommendations

JordanC

Hello!

Could anyone recommend a good car battery for the supra? I've currently got a Yuasa in there but I think the cold weather has killed it because it only seems to hold a charge for about 3 days. I've used a booster pack to start it previously.

Went to get in this morning and turned the key just to hear click click click click click :(

Any good batteries anyone can recommend?

On an unrelated note, how common is it for the bulbs behind the clock faces in the dash to need replacing? My speedo from 30 to about 80mph is no longer backlit and the rev counter from about 5k - 8k rpm is no longer backlit either! All the other lights (and sections of the RPM/speedo cluster) seem to be working fine, sometimes have to give the temp a little tap with the knuckle to get it to light up, same for the auto shifter light but the other sections are beyond tapping!

I can get trade discount from Halfords, a mate used to work there and is still friendly with all the current staff at my local branch, would you go for a new Yuasa or a new Halfords?

I'm thinking Halfords just for the guarantee but the Yuasa has been fine until winter.

Last couple I've bought have been Bosch S4. The 005 is about £70 from Euro Car Parts or a few quid cheaper off ebay.

If the financial penalty isn't too large, I prefer to buy locally. It's easier to return the battery if it packs up before the guarantee runs out.

(I don't know what the Supra battery tray is like, but I have fitted a larger battery - more amp hours - in the Soarer.)

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

I bought a halfords one based on the recommendations on here, HCB005.

It wasn't a direct fit !

It was taller than the one i was replacing. Meaning neither the bar that goes over the battery to hold it in place, or the hook that goes from the bar to the battery tray would fit. I had to extend the hooked bar and put a bend the one that goes over the battery :taped:

I bought a halfords one based on the recommendations on here, HCB005.

It wasn't a direct fit !

It was taller than the one i was replacing. Meaning neither the bar that goes over the battery to hold it in place, or the hook that goes from the bar to the battery tray would fit. I had to extend the hooked bar and put a bend the one that goes over the battery :taped:

Christ I don't even know where my battery clamp etc is, battery is just loose atm which is not good but doesn't seem to move really.

I would like a battery that's going to be a direct fit!

Christ I don't even know where my battery clamp etc is, battery is just loose atm which is not good but doesn't seem to move really.

I would like a battery that's going to be a direct fit!

It's easy to find the battery dimensions online, so you can compare with the current one.

For example:

Bosch S4 005

Amp Hours: (Ah): 60Ah

Cold Cranking Amp: (CCA): 540cca

Length: 232mm

Width: 173mm

Height: 225mm

Halfords HCB005

AH Value: 62

Startup Power: 510 Amps

Dimension (LxDxH): 232x173x225mm

EDIT:

Should I mention terminal sizes? :)

EDIT AGAIN:

A loose battery should be an MOT failure.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000901.htm

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Update on the Halfords issue! I registered a gentle complaint on the website re receipt unable to read etc! They said as it is a Halfords battery the store should be able to ascertain date of sale. They told me to take it back and they would deal with it accordingly. Just went there and they have changed it FOC! Result! Thanks Halfords!

It's easy to find the battery dimensions online, so you can compare with the current one.

For example:

Bosch S4 005

Amp Hours: (Ah): 60Ah

Cold Cranking Amp: (CCA): 540cca

Length: 232mm

Width: 173mm

Height: 225mm

Halfords HCB005

AH Value: 62

Startup Power: 510 Amps

Dimension (LxDxH): 232x173x225mm

EDIT:

Should I mention terminal sizes? :)

EDIT AGAIN:

A loose battery should be an MOT failure.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000901.htm

Funny you should mention this as when I took her for an MOT in September last year, I had a funny feeling the guy in the garage had just sat in on ramps and opened the doors to give off the impression he'd done something with it.

Either that or he didn't know himself!!