The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A wouldnt start today

paul_k

Ive had my 97 NA Supra for 3.5 years now and have to say it is normally very reliable.

However about 2 years ago it refused to start for about 2 minutes. The engine was cranking over fine but it sounded like there was no spark.Eventually it spluttered into life firing on about 2 cylinders initially and has been fine ever since until today.I put that down to water in the local Tescos petrol as they had to change their tanks at the time.

Anyway today it was about -4 outside and the car had not been started for about 2 days.It was not going to start. the occassional firing as if on one cylinder but mainly felt as if there was no spark.Eventually the battery was getting to low so charged it up and changed the distributer cap.

After about 6 hours of charge it did not sound happy when cranking but eventually burst into life on a couple of cylinders and then was fine.

Im wondering if the coil or main HT lead might be the cause? has anyone else had this? maybe its just the damp?

Cheers

Paul

Could it be the starter motor?

I've heard the solenoids are a common problem with supras.

Definately not the Starter motor - no clicking ie solenoid engaging and starter motor turns the engine fine.

Have read of fuel pump relay problems...anyone else had this?

Cheers

Paul

i think you should follow what alex has suggested and change plugs.

when you switch the ignition on you should be able to hear the fuel pump come in just for a few seconds.if it does not start and you can not hear the fuel pump come in then its worth checking the fuel side. but as you said when it starts it does't run on all cyclinders which seems to me its more plug related. ;)