The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tomorrow, a big day ....

Virus

Importing a supra in Belgium is hard. Easier then a skyline, but still hard. What's so hard about it? Getting through the import inspection . Why? Because they come from japan (mostly) & don't have a COC paper.

The import inspection checks if everything is conform with the European laws & Belgian road rules. When you get through the import inspection, wait times are up to a year (!) until my government can clear the car for the roads.

This entire system is kind of sad because i cannot drive my car (legally) around without the fear of the police confiscating it. I fixed everything & hopefully they think everything is ok. I'm a little bit stressed to be honest

Wish me luck! :D

(Some pics from last time)

IMG_20140806_070519.jpg

IMG_20140806_070826.jpg

IMG_20140806_081147.jpg

Toyota Supra from 1993 jap spec Non turbo, custum built exaust by an english guy (I have the company name somewhere i think but it'd have to search for it). Otherwise not that much mods besides a Short ram intake ( have lowered springs aswell but not mounted at the moment because of homologation needs 11 CM clearance from the floor. Planning on putting them back on once she's imported though :D.

Planning on doing a GTE swap hopefully by the end of 2016 (mostly due to money but also wanna enjoy the car as it is, a mod it a bit + repaint it)

Thanks for the good luck, i'm really stressed tho. It is a nightmare but all in all it's ok. My friend has a skyline R34 GTT & took him 4 months to get the required paperwork. For me, it only took me 1 week :p.

Paperwork is not the problem, the gouvernement isn't as fast as we would like... Where are you in Belgique ? :-o

Living in oudenaarde, but I spend most my days with my buddies in evergem, sleidinge, lovendegem, those areas. Where abouts are you?

Heres the long story:

When i first bought the car from a mate in Belgium, it was sitting still for the past 2 years in the open. It had a lowered suspension on (the ones i still have). Due to the car being to low after the first time i went to the import MOT, it got rejected. I installed OEM schocks & springs. After few months (& saving some money), finally had the time & money to go back (mind you these MOTs are around 90£ /: ). First thing they said is that i didn't have a montage certificate & didn't have a validiation certificate. The montage certificate shows the the schocks have been placed by a proffesional. Due to being OEM suspension, i don't need this one. The validation certificate is the one that says your wheel allignment is 100% ok. Didn't have the validation certificate so rejected.

Amongst other things i had to fix:

European lights (bought some in holland with no way of checking they were european. Fortunatly, the guy didn't lie to me so passed)

European seat belts: this is a brain killer. JDM supras will never come with european seat belts, went to a car grave yard, got the EU confirmed tickets from some seat belts & let my dad sew them in. They checked it rather quick & didn't question it so check :D

After the MOT, i went to the allignment guy but he couldn't fix the allignment cos the bolts were rusted firmly in place. I was gutted to be honest :/. Went to an old timer shop, asked them if they could loosen the bolts but got major ripped off. Apperantly took them nearly 5 hours to get 8 bolts out ...

After all, pretty good day, Happy i only need to fix 1 more thing & then the waiting can begin. First thing; fix that darn slipping clutch lol & do a full maintenance: oil, oil filter, air filter, timing belt, clutch, get all bolts unstuck & grease them in again so i can get them out easier & start to restore her. Order a rear bumper, fix some other stuff & that starter >_>

Just out of intrest: how hard would it be to import a supra into the uk? What's the procedure, what are rules that are silly / easy to go through? I'm convinced atm that belgium is one of the shittiest countries to import them in, was wondering how bad the uk is?

Cheers

Sorry for you man, but I can tell you that in Belgium it is easier to get a COC as in France, way easier...

You have now problems because your car wasn't 100% ok at the first pass, this kind of frustrated people can be veeeery boring when they see some issues.

Even if you get some lower suspension and you still have more than 11cm from ground, you must have papers of the springs or you must be lucky and pray for having a pass at a very early monday or be the last of the week...

You know, once you get all the specifications you need of your car (http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm is your friend), you don't need to go trough the overal check up, just make a nice sheet of paper, they accept it without a problem in Bruxelles ;)

You'll learn a lot with this first time :) A positive way to see these f**cking MOTs & COC :D

Indeed! Even your inssurance system is more logical then ours. Ours is like: "you are young, you will suck at driving so pay us much for insurance"; in uk it depends on drive ways, location, and lots of other things. Also, in belgium, we have 44% of old people here & most of em can't drive lol. This country is so illogical

Just out of interest: how hard would it be to import a supra into the uk? What's the procedure, what are rules that are silly / easy to go through? I'm convinced atm that belgium is one of the shittiest countries to import them in, was wondering how bad the uk is? Cheers
Obviously we have the advantage of driving on the same side of the road as the Japanese, so we don't have to worry about headlights.

If the car is more than 10 years old, all we have to do is make the speedometer read in miles per hour, add a rear fog light, and pass the annual roadworthiness test ("the MOT test"). MOT regulations >>>> http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

If it's less than 10 years old it has to pass a more stringent Individual Vehicle Approval test (IVA).

We have it easy compared to you.

I know alot of people in holland that import aswell, when they buy a car in japan, they first import it into the uk, and then in holland. So easy then. Ill probably have to do the same for the foglight :(

- - - Updated - - -

I know alot of people in holland that import aswell, when they buy a car in japan, they first import it into the uk, and then in holland. So easy then. Ill probably have to do the same for the foglight :(

Mine has been imported in england before i bought it. So it's on complete english papers :p

The things that are wrong with it right now:

Squar whole in my rear bumper i really wanna fix

Hood has so much paint damage it's unreal

Needs a good polish (probably will just give her a paint job but w/e lol)

front bumper blinkers are hanging loose for some reason. I've yet to check it out why. Will fix before paint job anyways :p

the left rear tail light has a mounting bracket broken off, so it's only stuck on 1 bracket causing it to move while driving resulting into more paint damage

All the bolts under the cars are rusted in place as hell. I'm not kidding, If i wanna do a brake job (replaced a wheel stud recently on the rear, had to remove the brake rotor & the calipers). A job that takes an hour max resulted into 5 hours of pain & misery :(. Wanted to get an outlining the other day, they couldn't even get the bolts loose lol.

Edited by Virus (see edit history)