The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have I got a WORLD FIRST in Supra Tuning?

Alex

Well, if I'm not mistaken people, we have here a WORLD FIRST!

My VVT-i spec Supra is running an eManage to control the fueling AND the timing! And what's more it's gone SINGLE!

Ian C and I have been putting in spanner time since Friday the 7th, throughout the weekend, every evening that week and then tidied up Yesterday (Saturday) morning.

Many thanks to Ian for all his help, not least for the use of his garage! The fact he is IMO the most knowledgable person in the UK on the eManage and the fact he's already done his own BL67 (Full Kit) installation has helped immeasurably and I'm truely indebted to him for giving up his time (and the chunks of his hands the car ripped off!) for free to sort my Supra out. Though the work is not over yet as the car still needs a lot of mapping. The way the MAF based VVTi responds to the map is different than the MAP based systems so it's taking time to figure out. But I have no doubt that it will be done...it already works well enough - just a bit too rich. There are a couple of other teething issue's but nothing massive.

This has been the first Vortex Budget kit install by a general punter and weve been feeding back to Terry and Mig our findings, improvements and observations have been welcomed and I believe are helping them to make an even better kit :thumbs:

No Dyno results yet as we're still mapping it up and I'm just busy for the next few weekends...but it will come in time. But I can tell you that even limping about whilst we're getting the map and other bits sorted, I don't feel it's slow off boost...let alone on it! ;) Those scared of losing low down grunt, I can pull positive boost by 1600rpm in 6th - not saying it builds fast that low down but it's certainly not killing me to not have the weeny 1st turbo anymore :D

Quick roll call of thanks.

Ian C - As above, top bloke and chief wrench monkey

Me - For paying for it all (Flat broke now! :( ) ;) and being junior wrench monkey

Mig/Terry - Vortex Power, telephone support and supplying the kit

Dusty - MVP, for the bits you've supplied

A.P.Tuning, of Norfolk - Silicon Hose Suppliers

SAMS Fabrication, of Norfolk - BOV flange welding, O2 boss welding, Pipe cutting and other jobs we couldn't do in the garage.

Chris Wilson - Fuel Pump Fitting Kit.

And all the other people who've helped with lifts, cups of tea and other assorted bits and bobs ;)

I hope to update you all better later, and add pics. But I have updated my vbGarage with all this information...

1998 VVT-i Royal Sapphire Blue TT 6-Speed J-spec Facelift

70,000+ Miles

Exterior :-

Whifbitz Nose

Whifbitz TRD Fibreglass Copy Bonnet (not fitted for winter)

Veilside Style Skirts and Spats (not fitted yet as of 23/01/05)

18" Kosei 10-Spoke Alloys

UK Brakes all round

Tinted Windows

Interior :-

Optional Leather Seats fitted all round

5-Dial Facelift dashboard

Alpine CDA-9833R (From Matt H and Sexton's of Maidstone)

Infinity reference speakers fitted all round

Snooper S-6 Nero

AEM WB02 52mm Black Gauge - not fitted yet

GReddy 52mm EGT Gauge - not fitted yet

GReddy 2pod Pillar Pod - not fitted yet

Blitz DSBC Boost Controller

Engine Bay and Associated :-

Boostligic/Vortex BL61 Budget Single Turbo - World First on a VVT-i

GReddy eManage - World(?) First on a VVT-i (Well GReddy said it wouldn't work...it does ;) )

650cc High Impedance injectors

Blitz 2 Row FMIC

HKS 50mm External Wastegate with Screamer Pipe :D

HKS SQV BOV

TRD badged Denso IK24 Sparkplugs

Walbro GS341 255L/ph Fuel Pump

AEM WB02 Sensor

Field Harness

TRD Strut Brace

Blitz Intake (Temporary)

Samco Upper and Lower Rad hoses

Carbon Fibre Rad Plate (en-route from MVP)

RLTC - (To be fitted when the Mapping is sorted)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair enough. You could have taken that braket off and left it off ...its only UK cars and later Jpcecs that have it ...All the early ones I have seen don't have it .It was one of the aditions done to later cars . Meant to be rear cradle torque support brakets..But I have seen no reason why they decided to put them on.

But 10 out of 10 for the fireworks I like it. :thumbs: Looks tops.

Bet you can't wait till its all mapped

Already buggered one set of plugs through over fuelling...doh.

The MAF map is having to be changed a lot...but once it's done other MAF users will have an easier time of getting mapped by Ian.

Think I'll go get some expendable NGK's as it's got IK24's in now :(

OH and a note to all Mechanics out there....YOU DO NOT NEED TO PUT SPARK PLUGS IN WITH AN IMPACT GUN OR A 300LBS TORQUE WRENCH!!! FFS I HAD TO USE A BREAKER BAR TO GET THEM OUT!!! Was not impressed in the slightest. :(

Are we talking about the bracket that's in the way and stops you getting at the manifold nuts? I was shitting myself when we took it off to do my front decat.

No it's a flat plate further towards the front...your VVTi car should have it..haven't got a pic sorry.

You big poof, you don't need to take it off to get at those bolts, just use a knuckle joint :) And snap it :rolleyes:

I'm happy enough with a UK first haha, and it worked first go as well, even the wasted spark ignition timing, hurrah! Now I'm gonna sleep for a week :zzz:

-Ian