The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Few tyre Questions. Sorry to bore you..

a98pmalcolm

Ok its coming up for me to get 2 new rear tyres.

I currently run

Cooper Zeon 2XS

Fronts: 225/35/19 Wheel is 8J

Rears: 265/30/19 Wheel is 9.5J

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Cooper/Zeon-2XS.htm

(Pretty low ratings)

Having these sizes keeps the tyres looking an even and matching depth front and rear. I went for the zeon 2XS tyres due to the financial status at that time.

Now... with them being 19" and a profile of an elastic bands with a just above budget tyre it causes pretty shody starts (as some of you saw at the pod)

So I have a few options in mind.

To go wider wouold be a good start but to keep the tyre depths the same with 225/35 on the front it would meant to for all the way to 315/25 and go with Continental ContiSportContact 3 .

But would this fit OK on my Supra?

Or stick with the 265/30's (which are a great fit for my car) and go for a much better tyre.

I have been looking at the

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti - £148 each

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Vorti.htm

and

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - £185.50

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

Even though the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a more expensive and well known tyre the Vredestein Ultrac Vort generally is a better all rounder.

What are your thoughts and opinions?:think:

*Added some colours and underlining ect to make the subject a little less of a bore :D*

EDIT: Just reading how good the Continental ContiSportContact 5 are

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I've got the Vorti's on the front, great tyres like the older style Ultrac Sessanta's which I have on my other set of wheels.

You will not be disappointed with the Vredestein's but I've tried many brands of tyre and still till this day the best I've bought have been Michelin. They do have the edge over the rest IMO and also seem to last a tad longer.

The Vorti's do have a funky sidewall design tho :)

Hi mate,

use the calculator in this thread (first post by Homer) to bench the size and profile you are looking for against your current set up. I found this absolutely priceless, its a fantastic tool, the graph will show you the new Tyre fitment against your current and all the necessary info in terms of ride height changes etc etc to make a judgement call on your new set up......happy days :D

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?225050-Supra-specific-gear-diff-ratio-and-tyre-size-calculator&highlight=tyre+gear+ratio+calculator

Matt

You're going to struggle with 9.5" rear wheels to be honest bud. In order to be even in the slightest bit competitive in the 1/4 you're going to need 17s on the back with some decent width and quality rubber. You could get away with 18s, it's a compromise, but 19s are essentially useless. You would need to oversize the rear tyres and buy near slicks to get it off the line with proper gusto.

If you only want to have 1 set of wheels for the car then you're going to have to live with an extra second or 2 on your 1/4 mile potential, if the choice is those 19s of course lol.

YEr 19's are the only wheels I have. Put I like to see what I would get on the street using the wheels I have so that's why I haven't opt into drag wheels etc.

Cheers Matt I was looking at that sight last night. Great prices.

Using homers tool shows that the 19" set up I have is near on the same as stock lol

This is also a helpful tool that I always use to check size and profile difference:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

I think Im pretty set on Continental ContiSportContact 5... These are getting top tyre..

I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on my 19's..

Very happy with them, great grip and feedback in the dry.

Fantastic in the wet, full throttle on BPU and no spinning..

My recommendation..

Different kettle of fish bud. I'm in the same boat as you but getting off the line in 4 seconds is so different from 5. Nevermind getting the potential out of a supra, which is around 2. It's all down to grip and these cars only have it with very specific setups.

Different kettle of fish bud. I'm in the same boat as you but getting off the line in 4 seconds is so different from 5. Nevermind getting the potential out of a supra, which is around 2. It's all down to grip and these cars only have it with very specific setups.

I guess single turbo's are another game...