The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good job i checked my brake pads!

bignum

As i`ve just booked another trackday i thought i`d check my brake pads to see how much meat was left on them, i changed the rears as they were low, then moved on to the fronts, plenty of pad left but they looked really flakey and corroded so i took them out to give em a rub down and what the hell 2 of them fell apart in my hand, ie the friction material fell off the backplate, not good as they arent cheap pads, the brakes actually worked ok but could have caused some nasty surprises real soon, so its worth checking them guys especially this time of year.

Not good matey, what do you think caused it?

What compound was you using?

Not sure really,i only fitted them in may last year but the corrosion on them is terrible.compound is 01 mate.

Not good at all that. Get on to PF as ask what's going on. I was going to give them a try after my porterfields. Maybe not now.

What track day you booked??

I`ve never had a problem with them before and tbh they are the best pad ive ever used, booked snetterton mate, 3rd of march.

I have been asked before, I don't do a full race compound for these calipers.

When pad maerial delaminates and crumbles it's nearly always due to severe overheating. timefor some AP disc temp paint!

Ok cheers Chris, damn i was getting them that hot!, must have been the Silverstone day, P/F do a more endurance pad so i may switch to that.

I always check my pads after a day at the track.

As a matter of course when I'm back, its up in the air and wheels off, check pads for damage/degrading , check calipers, Discs for cracking warping and lines for damage leaks etc.

When I whack my foot on that pedal I want to be almost 100% certain I am going to stop.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)