The mkiv Supra Owners Club

finally got time to paint my brake calipers

China Man

Hi,

Easy to do but my paint job sux.

note to myself, start to work early as it gets dark by 4pm in this time of the year and working with torch light = rubbish paint work. For 20 quid a pair of stands are good investment and will save me from putting on and off wheels between coats of paint :stupid:

China

I agree with you on the colour. I bought the colour from Halford and there is not much choice there and I am a noobie at DIY stuff so I just get the off the shelve product.

There were Red, Yellow, Blue and black. I think blue is less common and my car is blue so I went for the logical option. May be it will look better once it blend in with the brake dust !

Not sure whats the best way, I took off the wheels, sand down all the rust and dirt and paint over all the parts that does not move. Stick the Supra sticker on and spray clear lacquar to seal the sticker on. Been driving around town today and the brake still works :)

China

China

Did mine in Red over a year ago, they really add to the performance look of the car IMO.

I also used the Halfords paint and put decals on, however i did not use the laquar as i was affraid this would crack or peel due to the heat generated by the brakes?

I think mine will neeed doing again yhis year, or at least touching up?

Dave :devil:

If anyone is interested in powder coating, my son has just had a lot of bits done on his GTO. they've come up fantastic.

I'm thinking of doing some

there are some pics here, contact the chap in the thread.

My son had all calipers, two cam covers, heat shields & a few other bits for aproxx £250.

http://www.gtouk.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Is that expensive? Are you limited to certain colours?

About £50 for 4 calipers beadblasted and powdercoated, but you will also need a new seal kit front and rear. (Around £50 for UK brakes). Maybe not a massive range of colours either :(

I'll get a test set done and see if it is worth negotiating a deal for members.

I've brought some 'plasti-cote' Metal Protekt from Focus with the intention to spray my brakes. It is heat resistant to 150C but it is recommended to apply it at room temperature 21C which means I’ll be taking the brake off to do it. My brakes probably need a good clean and fluid replacement anyway!

However, they are the original smaller import brakes so maybe I’ll get some replacements and spray them instead.