The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance question (agreed value)

uksuprakev

Evening , im in the middle of restoring my Uk tt auto to its finest hour keeping it externally standard with bpu

whats peoples opinions on insurerers for cover and how much is entailed with agreed value

Ive seen that sky insurance seem to no longer be flavour of the month or am i wrong !?

cheers :taped:

yeah i was thinking flux , did this make for an heavy yearly premium !

heard people say that they start asking for trackers etc im guessing once the car gets to a higher value

also did you have a value in mind when done yours or they offered !?

I set my value to what I paid for the car as its completely stock so either way i get my cash back, will change when i start modding!

Premium was 700 for the year, 25, 2years ncb, 5k limited mileage. Did have the tracker option if i wanted but not for me!

Mine was with LWIB and underwritten by Markerstudy

I sent them high quality photos of the front, back, sides, engine bay, boot & interior and a spec sheet

of all mods inc new standard parts, power gain etc

Had an agreed value of £13,000 and the cover cost £300, 12 years no claims from another car was

mirrored onto this policy

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I am a little confused by all this car insurance stuff. Normally Flux or Sky was always the best when i owned my last supra. i used to call flux and tell them what sky said they would insure me for, then when flux did it cheaper, call sky back. litterally knocked 500 off the original policy price. However i can only get quotes from both for £700++

Speaking with a couple of friends it seems you can get much much cheaper. my very basic aerotop with a couple of body mods = £700 if not more.. his 500hp large turbo'd engine is only 350 a year.. than i said to my friend with a skyline doing around the same 500HP, his is 400 a year.. what is going on?

i am told telling the insurance company its kept in a garage over night is now more expensive then on the road?? as everyone puts garage and the insurance comany want as much of of you as possible.. I am literally going to call around and keep changing parts until i get it to the absolute lowest possible

Try other companies not just the obvious two, do a search on here as there's a few worth calling

LWIB for one, Livingstone Warman Ins Brokers

Funnily enough i recently got quotes for a £20,000 Range Rover and it was cheaper to insure with it

sat on the road than locked up in a garage, car insurance is in a world of it's own so don't try to understand it

My Alfa is with Sky (Lowering springs), good service in my experience and best price too. They're more 'bespoke' for classics and tuner cars, so they'll be less finicky with mods and agreed value, if you call them they'll talk you through it. Be careful though as some mods they won't cover, e.g. things that are illegal for road use / anything that'd cause the car to fail an MOT, such as over-bright HIDs, decats (grey area with old car / imports as you can imagine), nitrous systems and so on.

I've changed my insurance to a multicar policy with Admiral (Supra currently insured, then Admiral takes over from Sky when that car gets renewed). Superb service and price, however they don't cover the cost of mods (from how it sounds). So maybe if you're not planning on spending thousands they'll be worth looking into. I've only got less than £1k worth of mods so it makes sense for me.

Declared on Supra:

-

- Engine tuning (Air filter)

- Exhaust change

- AEM wheels (Well, OEM Lexus...)

Think I declared something else to save declaring it in future too. Hope this helps