The mkiv Supra Owners Club

first start up of a new built engine

teddan

Make absolutely sure there's no pre load on the clutch release bearing, take the Getrag bellhousing covers off and check the release bearing can be pushed easily away from the clutch fingers with a screwdriver or similar. This assumes you have a push type clutch.

I prefer to get initial oil pressure with the plugs out. Less starter motor strain. Good luck!

What happens when you press the pedal? You probably won't be able to lever the bearing in its thrust direction hard enough, and I don't advise you to even try doing that. So long as it will come away from the pressue plate fingers easily, that's all you should attempt to do. Use the pedal and the hydraulics to move it into the clutch fingers!

When I press the pedal it seems to be ok. First I have a gap of approx 10mm before it will became harder to push down.

It seems to be ok. I think as was just thinking wrong here..

I did a picture. green arrow=easily to push with my hand, Red= not possible to push with the screwdriver

That seems fine. The force in the red arrow's direction will be severe, in order to depress the clutch diaphragm fingers, you'd need a big bar in there, don't try it, you may bend or break something.

Put it in gear, get someone to depress the clutch pedal fully, and check you can tur the prop, with both rear wheels off the ground. use normal safe working practices if getting under the car, a friend of mine died last November, just around the corner from me, by not taking proper care and a car slipped and fell on him. Very nasty! Made me re think some of the habits I had got into, I can tell you.

No worries, anyone from Volvo land can't be all bad ;)

Damn, those volvos are like a plague in this country. I only seen them in my mirrors :p

Could it be possible to pressure the engine with oil from turbo oil feeding hose? I know that you can do it from the oil pressure sensor hole in the engine block.

Yes, there are commercial pre oilers available, or you can cobble one up with a brake bleeder set up driven from air in a spare wheel or a compressor. Any more digs at Volvos and I'll start charging for info ;) I have run them as my daily driver for 35 years. By the time the cops have rubbed their eyes and thought "That can't be some old geezer in a Volvo hanging the arse out, it must be diesel on the road", I'm gone....

Engines started :)

had a to high oil pressure.. around 7,5 bar. I will add a another pressure sensor to see if it show the same.

Otherwise there where no problems.

Thanks guys!

I'm seeing the same for a cold start. that's not high bud. Or do you mean once warmed? I'll see over 100PSI, then it'll drop after 5 minutes or so. Settles out around 30psi.

Engines started :)

had a to high oil pressure.. around 7,5 bar. I will add a another pressure sensor to see if it show the same.

Otherwise there where no problems.

Thanks guys!

That sound about right, especially on a newly built engine and cold oil, what sort of weather are you having over there atm?

Had 7,5 bar when the engine was cold and running Millers competetion mineral running in oil, 10w40.. My oil gauge was pushing the bottom of it's scale..that made me a little bit nervous.

tempereture is about -1 degree and snowing.. crap!

That's spot on, don't worry about that. Get it warmed up and you'll soon see it fall :)