The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA turbo options

roddas

Hi all, im considering a na-t kit for my car. Do I,

A: buy a full kit xs power etc

B: piece together my own kit

C: just do the full 2jzgte conversion

I think A may be the easier option or B could be the longer but cheaper option.

What sort of costs has other peoples conversions cost?? Including management and mapping options.

Im not aiming for huge bhp figure's just a nice little boost over standard. My car has done 140 000 kms and the engine seems strong and healthy enough. Thanks in advance

What sort of costs has other peoples conversions cost?? Including management and mapping options.

Im not aiming for huge bhp figure's just a nice little boost over standard. My car has done 140 000 kms and the engine seems strong and healthy enough. Thanks in advance

What gearbox does your car have?

Selling is an option but im very lucky and the car stands me virtually nothing, I bought it from my gf's friend who sold the car at a price that covered their shipping costs to move to oz. so even if I bought a tt motor and converted it my costs are still around the same as a decent na would cost to buy

Edited by roddas (see edit history)

D: sell the NA and buy a TT

This.

Selling is an option but im very lucky and the stands me virtually nothing, I bought it from my gf's friend who sold the car at a price that covered their shipping costs to move to oz. so even if I bought a tt motor and converted it my costs are still around the same as a decent na would cost to buy

Enjoy it for what it is and save yourself a ton of money. When you want more power flog it and get a TT. Unless it is unbelievably low mileage and in showroom condition I personally wouldn't bother.

Having done the NA-T route myself to a high standard and very good figures I'd strongly recommended just saving and buying a TT6.

You'll save yourself a lot of hassle, time and money in the long run.

Plus if you buy a nice bpu that has bigger brakes you'll have a lot of what's needed for going single. Boost controller, bigger exhaust, big brakes, six speed box etc. Your car will also hold its value more and be easier to sell should you decide to do so. Well priced TT6's don't usually hang around.

Oh yeah forgot to mention its an auto which limits options further

Actually, It's a better base for tuning than the 5 speed NA. :) You can install one of DavidP's hybrid auto boxes, which are supposedly good for over 500lb/ft. Because of that, NA-T can be worth the cost. Although it would still be much cheaper and more straightforward to sell your car and buy a TT auto.

Actually, It's a better base for tuning than the 5 speed NA. :) You can install one of DavidP's hybrid auto boxes, which are supposedly good for over 500lb/ft. Because of that, NA-T can be worth the cost. Although it would still be much cheaper and more straightforward to sell your car and buy a TT auto.

Not sure where David P is lately, I had a very bizarre email from him the other week.

Not sure where David P is lately, I had a very bizarre email from him the other week.

I thought I was the only one :D He seems to have been back on the forum since.

So the general consensus is !!!! Run it as it is save and buy a tt, save more and get a single 6speed.

To be honest I do like the lazy cruise'ness of it as it is, just having a bugeye impreza too I like the kick in the arse boost gives

I would sell yours and buy a BPU Auto Supra then. The kick when the second turbo comes on is brilliant, in a different league to what your Impreza will likely do.

If you can do most the work yourself, then I think turboing your existing car is worth it. Yes you can buy a TT for £5/6k. But your not going to really know anything about the car or an potential problems it may have. If your in no rush then a NA-t or 1jzgte can be done for less than £1k. But it will all depend on what your final goal is.

I fitted a 1jzgte in mine. Got a full soarer with no Mot for £600. Fitted the engine and all good parts on to my supra. Then fitted the 2jzge in to soarer. Got soarer Mot'd and sold it for £600.

So if you can wait for parts to come up then can be worth it.

If you can do most the work yourself, then I think turboing your existing car is worth it. Yes you can buy a TT for £5/6k. But your not going to really know anything about the car or an potential problems it may have. If your in no rush then a NA-t or 1jzgte can be done for less than £1k. But it will all depend on what your final goal is.

I fitted a 1jzgte in mine. Got a full soarer with no Mot for £600. Fitted the engine and all good parts on to my supra. Then fitted the 2jzge in to soarer. Got soarer Mot'd and sold it for £600.

So if you can wait for parts to come up then can be worth it.

This.

Get a cheap soarer and just swap over the parts and resell.

Auto N/A to TT = Approx £3k + labour

Sell N/A, Buy TT = Approx £3k, no labour.

Buying a TT means it'll hold it's value better (N/A converted won't sell for TT money), it'll have more extras/options than the N/A (more than likely). Converting the N/A just brings a whole load of hassle with it, loom switching, ecu switching, etc, etc, etc.

Sell the car and buy a TT, job done. If you want a manual, save a bit longer and get the car you want. The only conversion, almost, worth doing is single turbo-ing a TT.

Auto N/A to TT = Approx £3k + labour

Sell N/A, Buy TT = Approx £3k, no labour.

Buying a TT means it'll hold it's value better (N/A converted won't sell for TT money), it'll have more extras/options than the N/A (more than likely). Converting the N/A just brings a whole load of hassle with it, loom switching, ecu switching, etc, etc, etc.

Sell the car and buy a TT, job done. If you want a manual, save a bit longer and get the car you want. The only conversion, almost, worth doing is single turbo-ing a TT.

TT 6 speeding too :p or NA auto aero conversions in my opinion are worth it :)

TT 6 speeding too :p or NA auto aero conversions in my opinion are worth it :)

Maybe personally, but not financially.

A good Auto TT = 6k

A good 6spd conversion = 3k minimum.

Resale value = Around £7-8k

Loss = £1k minimum

A good auto TT = Sold for 6k

A good 6spd manual = Buy for around 9-10k

Resalve value = Around 9-10k

Loss = 0

Same with the aerotops. If that wasn't the case then everyone would do it.

The only conversion, almost, worth doing is single turbo-ing a TT.

Do you have to take 4years to complete it like yourself ;)

I agreed with your costs and loss chart though. So many times I've pondered NA-T and I just realised for your capped power gains and agro it's just not worth it by a mile.

A good Auto TT = 6k

Loss = £1k minimum

Loss = 0

I agree. I also think that a high standard car will always command top money. :)

but i think best option for the original post is that save some and get a genuine TT auto or manual depending on personal pref

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Do you have to take 4years to complete it like yourself ;)

I agreed with your costs and loss chart though. So many times I've pondered NA-T and I just realised for your capped power gains and agro it's just not worth it by a mile.

It's not 4 years yet ;)

A good Auto TT = 6k

Loss = £1k minimum

Loss = 0

If your looking at if from a financial point of view. Then no conversion or modification is really worth doing. I'm sure most of us on here have spent more on are cars than we could sell them for.

If your not after big power, can wait for second hand parts to come up forsale and are able to do most the work yourself. Then it can work out cost effective.

If your looking at if from a financial point of view. Then no conversion or modification is really worth doing. I'm sure most of us on here have spent more on are cars than we could sell them for.

If your not after big power, can wait for second hand parts to come up forsale and are able to do most the work yourself. Then it can work out cost effective.

It's false economy to think it's cost effective.

Most people would spend the same money on mods, outwith performance, regardless of which variant they have. That spend has to be discounted as it'll be the same no matter which car they own. If I had an N/A I would still have fitted all the kit that I did, glass headlights, ice system, nice exhaust, wheels, etc, etc,etc. These mods will never be worth what they cost, no matter what you do.

N/A - TT, N/A-T, etc, etc,etc can all be quantified, objetively, by how much it costs to do vs how much it's worth in the end. Most who go N/A-T rather than just selling up and buying the car they want with the power they want regret it.... and for good reason. The best value for money is a manual TT. You can buy one, run it for years and sell it for the same money.