The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aquamist water/meth injection system maintenance on my supra

ShawnPreece

I'm having trouble with my supra atm where I am getting no boost at all, I'm thinking that it's most likely a failsafe on the water/meth injection system that's stopping it. Has anyone running the same system had this problem and is there anywhere (preferably Midlands area) that would look into this and give it a service at the same time maybe?

I rang aquarist direct but the person I spoke to was not very helpful at all and wouldn't give me any advice or recomend any places as he said "it's a 8 year old system I don't know"

Anyone with any advice or any suggestions on places that would know about these systems would be great :)

Iv only had the car 3 weeks so still learning about it but it's a DDS3 V8a (what it says on the junction box in the centre) do you know of any places that would know much about these systems so I could take it to be checked out? I got a HKS vpro gold v3.2 ecu and a HKS EVC4 boost controller

whats it actually doing mate? i have used aquamist in the past for alot of things.

it'll be pins 9/10 on your junction box that controls the power to the wastegate solenoid. Goes into a switched earth when normal operation is reached.

What kind of boost controller system are you running? turbo spec etc?

Tim :)

Ahh awesome thanks mate il give those pins a check in the morning, it's just not boosting at all it sits in vacuum as normal on idle or deceleration and when you put your foot down the boost just goes up to 0 bar and get no wastegate noise and the turbo doesn't kick in at all. I got a HKS EVC 4 manual boost controller and is a t67 single turbo.

Cheers

The trouble is trying to familiarise somebody with not knowledge (no insult intended Shawn) is practically impossible, it all down to how the fail safes have been set up, and how the ECU has been mapped IE whether its been set to take advantage of the WI or not.

No offence taken at all mate iv only had the car for 3 weeks and never had a car with a water/meth system before so just trying to learn about it, the person I got he car off was very knowledgable and the system had been on the car for quite a while so I would assume it's been set up and mapped properly for it

A lot depends on just how its been set up, the DDS3 has several fail safe options which can be utilized, you can choose to have it cut boost/reduce boost, retard ignition timing or add more fuel should it detect no water/meth flow, all depending how its hooked up to the boost controller and the ECU, so unless you know of the whole wiring options its a bit difficult to figure out unless you go through the lot, which is why I pointed you toward Jez rather than try and explain it all.:)

Pretty sure Robby did have the w/i setup through the ecu for failsafe etc, also sure it was mapped for the w/i, have you messaged Robby, he would shed some light on this for you.

Yeah think it might be worth giving him a call tomorrow aswell, he seemed very willing to answer any future questions I had I just don't like bothering people to much after making a purchase lol, he did say there are a lot of fail safes on the system

sorry my mistake.

what ecu setup are you running?

i'm trying to figure out if the feedback is triggering to ecu or just cutting power to the boost controller solenoid. But in either case i would expect the car to still make wastegate spring pressure. Seems strange that the car performs normally just making 0 Boost.

Sounds silly but are you sure you don't have a boost pipe pop off somewhere.

Can you hear the turbocharger spooling/sucking (not wastegate vent noise)

sorry my mistake.

what ecu setup are you running?

i'm trying to figure out if the feedback is triggering to ecu or just cutting power to the boost controller solenoid. But in either case i would expect the car to still make wastegate spring pressure. Seems strange that the car performs normally just making 0 Boost.

Sounds silly but are you sure you don't have a boost pipe pop off somewhere.

Can you hear the turbocharger spooling/sucking (not wastegate vent noise)

No worries mate :)

I'm running a HKS Vpro Gold V3.2 ECU, there is no spool at all or any turbo relative noises, it drives like a totally healthy na supra its like its just forgot it has a turbo lol, nah there are no boost pipes or anythin off, admittedly I'm no mechanic but all the turbo setup seems fine to me (apart from the fact it's not working obviously lol) which is why I'm thinking its a failsafe on the aquarist system. The tank of water/meth mix did run out when it happened as the low level light in the dash didn't come on by I have since filled it up and still have nothing, the water/meth mix is being pumped around as I can see it moving in the pipes under the bonnet whilst revving it

also correct me if i'm wrong but i have yet to see an ecu have the ability to remove all boost from an engine. It can typically only control boost production by stopping the engine from revving or imposing a limiter in revs, or limiting the boost the turbocharger can make by stopping any increase of boost above the actuator/wastegate spring pressure electronically. But you should always see wastegate pressure, For example if your wastegate is 0.8bar but boost controller to 1.5bar i can understand it only making 0.8bar as a fail safe. But as far as i understand or seen there is no way to actively over-pressurize the wastegate feed to force the wastegate open in 0bar boost conditions.

But if the engine is driving nicely with no strange noises or activates apart from the turbocharger isn't making boost, Personally i'd still be looking at boost hoses, or possibly turbocharger failure on the turbine, we see this alot on the ceramic ct turbos on the 3sgte engines.

Thanks for all your input guys, I just been out looking again now and I can't find and hoses popped off or any leaks anywhere although when I move the blue hose pictured below even just a little bit side to side it affects the running of the car on idle (kind of cuts the revs abit and makes the engine chug)... Not sure how as iv checked this line quite hard since and can't seem to find any splits or anything at all across the line and is connected tight enough.

image.jpg

I checked the hose mentioned above and no splits or anything anywhere and doesn't seem to be affecting it now when moving it, I pulled out all injectors on the wi system and seems to all be working fine so maybe it is the wastegate being stuck open, I removed the induction and started the car and turbo seems to be spinning correctly but still no boost, whistle or waste gate noise. I might sound abit of a dummy here sorry as I'm still learning with it all but how do I go about checking the waste gate isn't stuck open? I haven't removed it yet so might be something obvious when I do but do I literally just remove it and see if there's any movement?

Cheers