The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible new supra owner

ashloys

I'm considering buying a supra in a couple of months time after I get settled in at my new house, no major rush.

I recently had a Toyota Chaser Jzx100 which I absolutely LOVED, although it was unfortunately stolen in October. I've just got the payout from insurance and I'm definitely looking to get another JZ engined car.

I absolutely love Supras and have about 7k to spend maximum, is there any chance of getting a manual for that?

Before the chaser I had an SR20 Nissan S13.

Any basic information or advice appreciated! Cheers

Cheers. I'd even be happy with a 5 speed conversion tbh. If I would rather get a chaser before another soarer again tbh. The chaser was fantastic!

Most 5 speed Supras use the W58 gearbox, which is no good for tuning. The R154, which is the tough 5 speed box, is rare and expensive now.

What power can w58s take? I was under the impression they were like chocolate with any sort of power.

I'm NA-TT BPU on a W58 and I've munched one already. They are ok as long as you don't do harsh down shifts and drive it like it's stolen. Mine was ok for about 5 years before it eventually ate itself. Even W58 boxes are getting harder to find these days, and wil set you back around £400 just for the box.

What would be a better idea (imo) would be to buy an NA 6 speed and later convert it to a TT. Either that, or save a couple extra grand and buy a factory TT6.

Guest Blackheart

You might be pleasantly surprised by the auto! My brother had a 6 speed TT and I thought an auto wouldn't be much good as I drive manuals in everything. Since I picked up my TT auto I have been shocked by how well it suits the engine and how smooth changes etc are.

• 2 weeks later...