The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips for removing the twins

Tommyd16

I think an oil seal has gone in one of my turbos and going to get hybrids. I've been quoted about £250 for the removal and possibly around £500 to refit so I might aswell do it myself. Found this guide http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?82952-Blitz-Twin-Turbo-Installation which seems pretty decent but has anyone got any other tips? Also I take it I will need the complete turbo gasket kit when I put them back on

IIRC its for the turbo support bracket bolt which is on the under side of the turbo , but that is very close to the top of the system but you have to get it from underneath,even when you think its ready to come off you will find more bolts holding it on , first time i did mine it took a few days as i had no other car and had to keep going out and getting tools i needed ,

in my collection of special tools i have a cut down bent 14mm spanner for those very special manifold bolts , cant remember now if it was more for the single manifold or not but is good to have

What's the extension for?

Getting to the bolts tween, 1st cat and exhaust gas control valve (EGCV), and some of, either, the bottom of the joint of turbos and manifold, or manifold and engine. I say it like that because I found it easier to unbolt the manifold from the engine and crane/lift the whole thing out, (EGCV, 1st and 2nd turbos and exhaust manifold) it can be lifted out by two people but easier and safer with crane, once out it's much better to strip down.

I would advise you change all the gaskets and all the vac hoses and any other hoses you can get too, it is quite an involved, long, and sometimes difficult job (physically) but it's not technically difficult.

What "Mellowman" said, I had to cut down and bend a bit, a 14 mm spanner, probably best to do this as you come to it though, you may get away without it.

Either take lots of photos or jot down what goes where and why, make sure you don't loose any bits.

Edited by BOB B (see edit history)

Don't get too excited about getting your old units rebuilt, most OE front turbos have cracked wastegate ports. Some are minor, some so bad rebuilding might be considered a waste of money. I still maintain new turbos are far FAR safer than rebuilt ones. Once you have them off and on consider if you want to go through it all a second time.... ;)

The nuts for the front turbo are much easier to access with the water pump removed! It sounds like extra work because the cam belt needs to come off along with the front pulley but I'm convinced the total time is lower, with fewer scraped knuckles and less swearing at nuts and bolts needed!