The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bodykits... To kit or stay stock look....

Big Supes

I guess its all about personal opinion, but I've been fighting off the urge to bodykit my car.... well... pretty much since I've had it. I find myself torn because it would be a real shame to butcher the original paint and bodywork on a UK car that's been cherished for the last 20 years.

So, here's the conclusion so far: I have zero intentions of getting rid of my car so I'm not overly concerned with resale value so it would be more to do with preserving the body, should I want to remove it later on down the line. If I were to go with a kit, what would be the best way to fit a widebody? I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the quarters for rivets so bonding it to the car and blending would be the best option?

Thoughts peoples.

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stock for me.

The biggest issue with body kits is the impracticality of them. You have to lower the car to make most look half decent. By then the nose is the lowest point on the car and you end up having to plan trips that avoid the ever growing number of speed bumps.

Stock body is a breeze to drive most places and can still be lowered without causing too many issues.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Subtle kit improves the car look I think,but don't like the drilling holes bit:)

Indeed. This and any serious arch work.

For the record, the only kit I'm really interested in at the moment is the full Ridox widebody. Does anyone know if the rear quarters can be bonded/epoxy'd without holes 'n rivets? Also, how much arch work has to be done, if any?

NUR motorsport widebody is lovely and subtle :cool:

Bear in mind any widebody car is going to require blending, filling etc. Filler always cracks eventually.

Ridox with stock arches is a good compromise imo, or Top Secret III front bumper with oem skirts and spats.

It comes down to personal choice

If you decide to go down the body kit route though, most kits don't fit well, so make sure you have a very good bodyshop on your side

I built mine with the intension of trying to keep the stock curves, but with more aggression, but it cam e at a very high price £'s wise

Also remember to Wide Arch means cutting the original arches away to allow for the wider stance, so no returning to stock

Indeed. This and any serious arch work.

For the record, the only kit I'm really interested in at the moment is the full Ridox widebody. Does anyone know if the rear quarters can be bonded/epoxy'd without holes 'n rivets? Also, how much arch work has to be done, if any?

If you're going for rear 1/4's, you may aswell paint the whole car. You're gonna need uber wide wheels to fill big arches, so the metal arches will have to be chopped off.

I love the big rear arch look, but I'd never start chopping the shell about like that unless it was meant to be a show car and nothing more.

NUR motorsport widebody is lovely and subtle :cool:

Bear in mind any widebody car is going to require blending, filling etc. Filler always cracks eventually.

Ridox with stock arches is a good compromise imo, or Top Secret III front bumper with oem skirts and spats.

I do like the NUR. It looks nice from the back, but something about it when looking down the car at a 45 degree angle, it flares outwards from the doors to aggressively, ruining the lines of the car. Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, the filler cracking issues is what also sprang to mind, but as the finish will be a wrap, I don't mind pull it off every now 'n then to make repairs and then rewrapping it. :)

If you're going for rear 1/4's, you may aswell paint the whole car. You're gonna need uber wide wheels to fill big arches, so the metal arches will have to be chopped off.

I love the big rear arch look, but I'd never start chopping the shell about like that unless it was meant to be a show car and nothing more.

Chopping the arches out is going to be what all of this is going to be hinged on. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it. :(

I think Top Secret front and skirts along with a Trial rear with the diffuser bit painted is the best look for a Supra :thumbs: either that or same setup except a stock rear with the Shine carbon diffuser

I do like all of the above, but I think its widebody or stock at the moment.

Hi Adam long time no speak.

Here is my two pence worth. If your fixated on a body kit go for it. Personally I wouldn't but you have already said the car is staying so do what you want.

I wouldn't go for a widebody as returning it to stock will be next to impossible if you do change your mind. But again if your fixated on a widebody kit then just have it done right, it will mean extensive work to the OEM body so wouldn't worry about rivets, or keeping the OEM stuff.