The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best polish for a black car

Bill Prawn

I did a search on Google ages ago for Neilsons or Nielsens polish and couldn't find anything at all! :blink:

I've used the fine T-cut stuff before on a black car and it was okay, most of the polishes you buy now haven't got the abrasives that you need to cut back the finish.

I run Diamond Valet in Aberdeen with my dad, we use the whole range of Auto Glym.........Super Resin for most cars, but we also have 3M Cutting Polishes for the cars that need it. Finesse by 3M is a good polish for cutting back and then just use a good Resin Polish but i dont know if its available to public and its hard work the Finesse. Easier with a machine polisher, but these too can be a disaster waiting to happen if used wrong.

Have you tried the Meguiars Light Scratch and Swirl Remover ? Its like a black squeezy tube and you do one panel at a time, i used this on a black Civic Type R and it came up a treat after that and a good hand polish with Auto Glym

I also use Diamondbrite to seal in the shine on all my cars as well as selling it, personally dont think you will get a better finish if its used and maintained "properly".

Have a look at some of the work in the website

http://www.diamondvalet.co.uk

In the pics or previous work section.

Afraid its just elbow grease and choosing something thats not too harsh on a black car. Remember to do it in straight lines as much as possible too or you will end up ten times worse off with a shiney "swirley" car all over :cry:

HTH

Michael

I used the black T-cut stuff on mine, it left buff marks all over it which i couldn't get off. I found the Turtle Wax Colour Magic was much better, brought the colour back slightly - and got rid of the buff marks.

I used the T-cut on my red car, it was difficult to remove . So I applied some liquid polish stuff on top of the dried T-cut and it came up very shiny!

Using t-cut or similar on a black car will most likely create more abrasion swirls than it removes simply because they are more visible on this color. Of all the different types of polishes I've used over the years the best by far has been Zymol which I have been using for about a year and half. It's very expensive but a starter kit which is what I bought for £100 pounds will last for 2 years minimum. Tha kit contains 1 shampoo, HD Cleanse 1 Jar wax, towel applicator for the HD cleanse, 1 sponge wax applicator, 1 microfible cloth and a Lehm clay bar to remove excess oxidation. The wax jar will easily last about 5 years because you'll only need to use it once or twice a year. You'll be amazed at the results after applying the HD cleanse. My car is uk spec 1994 and the paint is virtually in showroom condition apart from the few stonechips on the bumper.

I've also heard very good things about mcguiars but never used it yet.

Good luck, just a few more months before polishing season !! :D

Using t-cut or similar on a black car will most likely create more abrasion swirls than it removes simply because they are more visible on this color. Of all the different types of polishes I've used over the years the best by far has been Zymol which I have been using for about a year and half. It's very expensive but a starter kit which is what I bought for £100 pounds will last for 2 years minimum. Tha kit contains 1 shampoo, HD Cleanse 1 Jar wax, towel applicator for the HD cleanse, 1 sponge wax applicator, 1 microfible cloth and a Lehm clay bar to remove excess oxidation. The wax jar will easily last about 5 years because you'll only need to use it once or twice a year. You'll be amazed at the results after applying the HD cleanse. My car is uk spec 1994 and the paint is virtually in showroom condition apart from the few stonechips on the bumper.

I've also heard very good things about mcguiars but never used it yet.

Good luck, just a few more months before polishing season !! :D

Gota agree that Zymol is good stuff, for a slightly cheaper alternative (still dearer than most but not big money) try the Zymol 'Cleaner Wax' I think its called. Its a blue liquid wax and is still top quality as you'd expect from Zymol. Not a quick wipe on wipe off job though, but very good finish for your hard work. It was recommended to me by a well respected bodyshop/classic restorer.

Second one down on this page: http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Zymol_Natural_Autocare_Products.html

I use the Meguiars 3 stage Crystal system. It's very good, but takes a while.....

1) Wash and dry car

2) Apply Paint Cleaner and buff off

3) Apply Polish and buff off

4) Apply Carnuba Wax and buff off

5) Go indoors, consume lots of post-polish lager and catch 40 winks !

Roll on summer :)

Yeah i've heard very good things about mcguiars and Neilsens, but didnt want to spend loads on polish. From the cheaper range i found the TurtleWax to be better than T-cut though.

I used to always use Autoglym on my old cars, but the effect it has on the Supra doesn't seem as good.

Yeah i've heard very good things about mcguiars and Neilsens, but didnt want to spend loads on polish. From the cheaper range i found the TurtleWax to be better than T-cut though.

I used to always use Autoglym on my old cars, but the effect it has on the Supra doesn't seem as good.

i think you will find the neilsons polish from terminator cheaper than the likes of turtle wax and much easier to use. iirc it was around £6 for 500ml

recently i have started to use meguairs since we are a dealer!... its really really good stuff.. highly recommend! used a few of there ranges .. inc the 3 stage one on my rx and got some great results... also i found there polishing cloth works a treat!

I've got some Zaino which is supposed to be superb, but initial application time is about 5 hours and I haven't had time yet! After that you just keep topping it up!

Otherwise use super resin polish.

I went on a tour of Autoglym once - the question was asked about colour magic. They said you need to think logically using that stuff. What on earth is the point on using it to enhance the colour again, when all you are doing is adding it on top of the CLEAR laquer which is on top of the actual coloured paint!! They've got a point! :)

What on earth is the point on using it to enhance the colour again, when all you are doing is adding it on top of the CLEAR laquer which is on top of the actual coloured paint!! They've got a point! :)

It's good for scratches and stone marks which have damaged the lacquer.

I use color magic and it does help mask scratches - a recent incident with a cat scrawling down my bonnet has proved this. (Feckin' cats)

We use Neilsens (gold) on our black supe and it always comes up beautifully. A couple of tips (passed on from the previous owner); never allow polish to dry in sunlight (keep in shade) and leave on as long as possible (he left it overnight!!). Have to say it ws still in showroom condition when we got it, so it works! :respekt:

contact phil. bbs name terminator. he supplies some excellent stuff. it sounds like you need a neilsons blue then a neilson gold to finish it off. its very easy to use and cheap

Have to agree with lee, esp as it's brilliant value for money. Don't be tempted by the Neilson's polish Halfords sell, it's a thinner version AFAIK.