The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What have you done to your Supra today..?

MRX

So a few weeks ago I started experiencing water temperature fluctuations and some water leaking. Looked underneath and miss-diagnosed it as the thermostat housing leaking. I changed the thermostat but still had issues and on closer inspection I could see it was actually leaking from a core plug in the back of the water pump.

So this means water pump out, and that means crank pulley / cam belt removal. So today's mission -

Strip out coolant system including radiator and build a crank pulley locking tool -

The amount of force needed to move this nut is crazy, the breaker bar was bending!

Next up make a puller -

And remove pulley -

Once the cam belt was off i was able to wrestle the pump off. Here's a pick showing the actual plug, scoured the web for a pic like this while investigating the issue -

And here's the cause of all the issues -

Old plug beaten out and new one gently pushed in to place -

Just need to get new gaskets now and then I can rebuild :)

Anyone else been done anything to their Supra today?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crank pulley doesn't look to bad to me apart from a little bit of surface rust on the outer part of the pulley!!

Sprayed my front lip from Matt black to gloss black today,looks loads better now

If you look closely the rubber has a crack in running around the circumference of the inner pulley. Hard to see on the picture though.

Sprayed my front lip from Matt black to gloss black today,looks loads better now

Got a pic mate? Thinking of doing this to mine.

The timing belt was fairly new and in good condition. I'll have a good look at pulley before it goes back on.

any pictures? what are the sizes and dimensions. do they fit over the UK brakes and did you need a arch roll? I liked the ones on the black duck and know that those needed a big arch roll as Jamie said in his thread :).

I avoided the arch roll.....and I have UK brakes......18's ET35

My phone won't upload any of my pictures. ..just says failed....

I avoided the arch roll.....and I have UK brakes......18's ET35

My phone won't upload any of my pictures. ..just says failed....

Ive got like a billion pics of your car cuz you keep sending me them lol here are some...

Anyway im just working on my dash panels, having them done in satin black, I have recently just bought some

UK Brakes

Defi Gauges

Stock BOV Del (end cap blocks)

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8635.jpg

IMG_8631.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

Just ripped out most of my dash today.. Trying to do several jobs in one hit. Swapping my clocks as I don't like my metal monkey ones. Wanna put TRD ones in, or similar. Suede dash has faded, so gonna have it re-done, so nice and new. Replacing all bulbs with LED one as well. Interior looks like a bombs gone off..bits everywhere!! :taped: