The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Super spool' kit for Precision turbos

Phlukey

Has anyone else seen or used one of these 'super spool' kits for Precision Turbos from the states?.....

http://youtu.be/JcuRbVogshE

http://youtu.be/SKUQ0dIUZQ0

The name is very misleading as the kit doesn't affect spool at all in reality. All it is, is a kit which transforms the spooling sound of a Precision turbo to give a similar sound to the 'jet engine' like wailing noise of a HKS turbo (like the T51R or T62). Here's the sound of a 2JZ with a HKS T62 fitted for comparison.....

The kit consists of a new Precision compressor housing with the anti surge inlet machined out and a different one with a new design fitted. This new inlet channels air into the Turbo in such a way that changes the noise characteristics and makes them 'whistle' louder like HKS units. Think the kit sells for about $500.

Personally, I love the sound of HKS Turbos, but they never seem to perform as well as Precision turbos power output or spool wise for any give size. This kit would appear to give you the option to have the best of both worlds, but I'm not sure if having one of these fitted would get annoying after a while noise wise or if it would detrimentally affect the turbo in performance or reliability. Apparently according to the manufacturers, neither are affected, but they are bound to say this whatever lol

I see what you're saying J, but I don't agree entirely with your comparison. It's not 'faking' something completely like the example you mention (ie an N/A trying to 'pretend' to be a turbo). It's just changing the design specs to alter noise characteristics in order to mirror a similar product.

I see what you're saying J, but I don't agree entirely with your comparison. It's not 'faking' something completely like the example you mention (ie an N/A trying to 'pretend' to be a turbo). It's just changing the design specs to alter noise characteristics in order to mirror a similar product.

That's why I used the word 'almost' :D I guess I'm just allergic to artificial sounds being used in cars, the manufacturers are terrible for it these days.

That's it Ric. I am worried that the novelty would wear off too, but could always revert back to the original compressor housing if that's the case.

It wouldn't be an artificial sound though j, it really would make that noise for the same reason the HKS Turbos do lol. It's to do with making the anti surge section of the compressor inlet more like the HKS design, changing the way air enters it and so changing the noise.

Edited by Phlukey (see edit history)

That's it Ric. I am worried that the novelty would wear off to, but could always revert back to the original compressor housing if that's the case.

It wouldn't be an artificial sound though j, it really would make that noise for the same reason the HKS Turbos do lol. It's to do with making the anti surge section of the compressor inlet more like the HKS design, changing the way air enters it and so changing the noise.

You're still comparing the HKS product, which makes a distinctive sound as a byproduct of its design, with an optional part, that has no practical purpose other than to make it sound different. Look how unpopular atmospheric BOVs are now compared to 15 years ago.

My dislike is probably routed in the fact that if things like this become commonplace, it will ruin the charachter of other devices which naturally make similar sounds, such as the HKS turbos, Kenne bell and Whipple superchargers etc.

Ok fair enough J, you do have a point from a copyright perspective I guess. It is a matter of copying HKS's design. But if HKS made turbos which performed as well as Precision's units then I'd have one, but unfortunately they don't.

However, HKS turbos were designed like this from the outset, whereas Precisions Turbos were not. I can't help but think that Precisions designers do know what they're doing and they designed their turbos like they did for good reason. I definitely wouldn't want to sacrifice performance and reliability for the sake of a noise I like, it would be stupid and counterproductive.

I need someone who really knows their apples when it comes to turbo design (Chris Wilson or Lee P maybe?) to come along and advise on whether this mod would be likely to affect performance and / or reliability of the turbo.

Edited by Phlukey (see edit history)

I wouldn't bother too much about the sound of the turbo Phil. With my screamer pipe, the turbo sound has to fight against the wastegate screaming at 2+ bar :D

You are running screamer pipe too, aren't you?

Twin screamer pipes Luc :D but this 'whistle' is a sound that you'd hear more while the turbo is spooling, before the waste gates open up and the screamer pipes start..... Er...... Screaming lol

Noise is still a form of energy , So theoretically more noise would mean more loss in the energy transfer from kenetic energy into sharft force compressing air .

still sounds pritty cool though

Good point Mellonman, but I'd guess that the power lost to this extra 'sound energy' would be extremely minimal and probably undetectable on a dyno...... Just a guess mind, but would be interesting to test the standard and modded compressor housings back to back on a dyno to see if there was a detectable difference in power output.

Does this 'whistle' sound louder than your T51 Lee? If so, my worry is it may get annoying.

Sorry pal only just seen this.

All I can say is you know it's spooling hehehe,

To be honest that's the sound I allways wanted and I haven't got sick of it and don't think I will, but like other people have said

You may get sick of it after a while BUT If you love that noise and that's the whole reason while you want it then go for it

Get what YOU WANT!!! and like you said you can all ways take the ss'' of :-)

Good point Mellonman, but I'd guess that the power lost to this extra 'sound energy' would be extremely minimal and probably undetectable on a dyno...... Just a guess mind, but would be interesting to test the standard and modded compressor housings back to back on a dyno to see if there was a detectable difference in power output.

agreed I doubt the loss is much at all, just look at what 1 hp can do , run the grand national and still go neeeeeiiiigh :D

I wouldn't bother too much about the sound of the turbo Phil. With my screamer pipe, the turbo sound has to fight against the wastegate screaming at 2+ bar :D

You are running screamer pipe too, aren't you?

If your talking of your running 2 + bar of boost then your screemer pipe would not be as loud as the same turbo running 0.6 bar , if your running it at 2 bar your using most of the turbo preasure and the screamer / wastegate is only getting rid of exhaust gas to stop the turbo preasure raising past that point . this then is wasted exhaust gas hence the name .

As supraleeturbo is runing wastegate preasure of 0.6 his screamer is going to be alot louder then yours and sounding at alot lower rpm

say you make 2 bar at around 5,500 rpm a little before that point the wastegate starts to open and it start screaming :D and all unwanted exhaust gas made from that point is then dumped .say your turbo can make 3 bar at red line thats just 1 bar of exhuast gas wasted .

but lee or your self make 0.6 bar at around 3,500 and a little before that the wastegate starts to open and its starts screaming and all unwanted exhaust gas from that point is then dumped out the wategate :D , where this would be 2.4 bar of wasted exhaust gas .

This would go the same for having 2 wastegates yes there are 2 but they would both be lower in the gasses they are expelling .

3 bar turbo , 2 bar used , 1 bar wasted , divided by 2 wastegates = 0.5 out of each

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

If your talking of your running 2 + bar of boost then your screemer pipe would not be as loud as the same turbo running 0.6 bar , if your running it at 2 bar your using most of the turbo preasure and the screamer / wastegate is only getting rid of exhaust gas to stop the turbo preasure raising past that point . this then is wasted exhaust gas hence the name .

As supraleeturbo is runing wastegate preasure of 0.6 his screamer is going to be alot louder then yours and sounding at alot lower rpm

say you make 2 bar at around 5,500 rpm a little before that point the wastegate starts to open and it start screaming :D and all unwanted exhaust gas made from that point is then dumped .say your turbo can make 3 bar at red line thats just 1 bar of exhuast gas wasted .

but lee or your self make 0.6 bar at around 3,500 and a little before that the wastegate starts to open and its starts screaming and all unwanted exhaust gas from that point is then dumped out the wategate :D , where this would be 2.4 bar of wasted exhaust gas .

This would go the same for having 2 wastegates yes there are 2 but they would both be lower in the gasses they are expelling .

3 bar turbo , 2 bar used , 1 bar wasted , divided by 2 wastegates = 0.5 out of each

Nice clarification mate :)