The mkiv Supra Owners Club

weight reduction question

mellonman

We all know weight reduction will make our cars accelerate faster, but out of intrest with our cars being rwd with we was to take the weight from the rear , would this not affect the traction / force pressing down on the car making for less grip and torque to the floor ,thuse slow the speed of acceleration.

What peoples thoughts on this or do most just think weight redution will alwaysresult in faster acceleration?

Don't forget when accelerating hard, weight is shifted to the back which will aid with traction. Balanced weight is important but I can't see it being much of an issue unless you were going all out on a track car. Example Richard's car you'd have to be very careful with the weight due to the way the engine is sitting further back in, current reduction in weight etc. Even than with R888's and a light body you should still see good traction.

I understand the weight transfer , but still most supras would loose traction with stock weight in place , taking more from the rear would surely loose more traction .

I see some equation of how acceleration is affected by weight but traction / force on the wheels was also a factor .

I wonder if there are any real world test for this ?

Removing weight outside of the wheelbase at either end is probably the most beneficial. Most of what we can do is lip service to CoG so not going to make a vast difference. I wouldn't worry about where the weight is removed from unless you're going to move the engine back too and really work on weight distribution.

I wouldn't remove too much from the rear.

I have my washer tank and battery in the boot. This moves some weight from the front to the rear. But I wouldn't make it even lighter at the rear without changing things in the front.

Weight reduction in the rotating masses can bring a lot of advantages (e.g brakes). I remember my big Stoptech's brake kits were 5kg lighter than my stock Supra brakes (weight reduction on the 4 brakes, pistons, discs and pads) ... although much bigger.

Unless you start shifting large amounts i doub't you'll notice it on a rd car

With all the potholes, patched surfaces and speedbumps on our roads, reducing unsprung weight should make a noticeable difference.

Of course, with the size of the wheels and tyres most people run now, along with cheap cast wheels, any differences are probably negated.