The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 Speed Conversion or Respray

SUPRA4EVA

6 Speed Conversion or Respray  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 6 Speed Conversion or Respray

• I'd rather respray...
    • I'd rather do an auto to 6 speed conversion...

Here is a question that is bugging me...

If you found a Supra that was perfect*...Dream = TT6 and in the Color you want...* but a little twist, if the color is right the transmission is Auto only and if it's a 6 Speed you hate the color, oh and btw you hate Auto!!

Scenario 1

It's a TT6 but in the wrong color, that you cannot stand.

Solution: Complete respray in a color of your choice, we're not talking custom colors but 'original/oem' finish.

Scenario 2

It's a TT Auto but in the color you desire.

Solution: Auto to 6 Speed conversion.

Basically it's 6 Speed or color, you can't have both, which Scenario would you choose?

I assume this is something to do with that RSP facelift auto that's just appeared in the classifieds? :D

Assuming all other things being equal (condition etc), I would be more concerned with how my car drove than what colour it was. Within reason of course...

I assume this is something to do with that RSP facelift auto that's just appeared in the classifieds? :D

Assuming all other things being equal (condition etc), I would be more concerned with how my car drove than what colour it was. Within reason of course...

Ha Ha no!

The car will be perfect perfect in every way except the above mentioned..I see you you like white and you have a choice of Auto or 6 Speed!

Ha Ha no!

The car will be perfect perfect in every way except the above mentioned..I see you you like white and you have a choice of Auto or 6 Speed!

To be fair, I have tried to buy other coloured Supra's, but from some reason I always end up with white ones.

White supremacy :D

Scenario 1.....respray is much cheaper than a conversion :D

Not really cheaper. Depends on how much of the car you want to paint. If you are going to do it properly, inside/out, engine bay, boot, etc...it will cost you a lot, not to mention the enormous time it will take up.

IMO take the color you want and swap the box. It's easier and quicker.

TT6 will go up in value eventually, being a better investment, BUT with the paint not matching the VIN, would lessen the value a bit imo.

Auto to 6 won't get the same return as a factory TT6.

However, buying the auto and converting to 6 speed will probably work out cheaper:

TT6 (average-ish) £9k + £3k for a decent respray = £12k

Auto TT (average-ish) £6k + around £4k for 6 speed conversion = £10k

(Rough prices, I may be a little off)

Why would u think a colour change wouldn't match the VIN? Soon as your done respraying u send the log book off to DVLA with the new colour and they change it all to match??

It will just show on the HPI that it's had a colour change! But I wouldn't think that would lower the value?

Not really cheaper. Depends on how much of the car you want to paint. If you are going to do it properly, inside/out, engine bay, boot, etc...it will cost you a lot, not to mention the enormous time it will take up.

IMO take the color you want and swap the box. It's easier and quicker.

Well based on a standard re-spray I meant, if you are talking about that level of re-spray then how about a brand new Getrag box and all associated parts and taking it to one of the top tuners in the country to have it done :p

Respray can be done anytime, but sourcing a good 6sp conversion could take many months, if not longer, so I'd choose the 6sp

But as been said many times before, do not overlook the auto without having tried it (or better still, compared the two), believe it or not you could change your mind

Why would u think a colour change wouldn't match the VIN? Soon as your done respraying u send the log book off to DVLA with the new colour and they change it all to match??

It will just show on the HPI that it's had a colour change! But I wouldn't think that would lower the value?

Because it is illegal to change the VIN. The V5 is not the same as the VIN of a vehicle.

The VIN plate on the car will always say "202" for a black car out of the factory. If that black car is sprayed RSP, it would still have to read 202 on the VIN. The V5 will say "blue", but the VIN will not.

I didn't say it would lower the value, I said it wouldn't be worth as much as a "from the factory colour". It depends how picky you are. Personally, if I was buying a TT6 Supra I'd want the colour to match the VIN, as it would (if everything else remained stock) appreciate better than one with a colour change.

That goes for any big change though (bar single conversions etc)

An auto to TT will not appreciate like a factory TT6.

A TT6 out the factory will apreciate better than one with a colour change.

Just my opinion, but I'm sure many on here would agree.