The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra insurance claim against Lady reversing still ongoing, any further advice?

supra_24

Hey guys,

As some of you may remember, a lady reversed into my supra at the traffic lights outside my house around 2 weeks ago now, so I notified my insurance as suggested and exchanged details with the opposite party. Took pictures of incident etc.

Intially I was in communication with the Lady via text and she wanted to settle the damage to my car outside of insurance and offered to pay £300 towards it. She did also at this stage claim in her texts that it was 50/50 as in partly my fault as i did not reverse at the same time she did?

When I made the claim through my insurance providers I did make it clear I wanted to go through her insurance first off as she reversed into me. I sent my insurers all the photos of the incident all the ladys contact info and insurance details and even a detailed account of what had happened, a detailed diagram and screenshots of the texts she sent me offering to pay for my cars damages.

However in the last week, she has now changed the story with her insurers to me crashing into the back of her car at the lights. My insurance have disscussed this with me and dont beileve her one bit as the story does not add up.

So I am awaiting for her insurers to send out someone to inspect my damages, they are just dragging it out.

In the meantime since this event, after studying the photos from the incident. I discovered some forensic evidence to help fight the case.

As fibers of the fiber glass bumper which are painted white are clearly visible and can been seen as photographic evidence taken at the time of the incident.

If the Astra were hit by the Toyota Supra, the forensic evidence of fiber glass from the front bumper would be apparent at the traffic lights. Not further back down the road.

The Astra would have also been pushed further forward across the traffic light area if it were to have been hit from behind.

I have highlighted an image to help the evidence.

Forensic evidence - fiber glass fibers.jpg

What are your guys opinions so far. Do I stand in a good position, is there anything ive missed or could add?

Any advice is once again appreciated.

Regards

Ashley

Well the quote I sent to her insurance was £1500 as I need a whole new bumper sprayed and fitted and a new front mounted intercooler as it was dented in where she reversed into me.

Doesent even look damaged, if you hadn't circled the bits on the floor i wouldn't even have noticed.

If she's admitted to reversing down a main road then she's lost, happened to me.

There is no onus on you to also reverse when she does as you're expecting traffic to be moving forwards at the lights not backwards.

They're just dragging out the inevitable IMO :)

Didn't someone on here mention the evidence her reverse lights will leave behind when she was reversing or something? Was maybe a different insurance thread.

Went something along the lines of if she reversed into you and smashed one of her reverse lights then they can examine the bulbs to see if they were on at the time they smashed. Hence proving she was reversing and at least getting you out of the full responsibility bit!

Looks like she's been careful with her words via text as well since there isn't much admission of anything

She didn't expect it to be so much from a small incident! So if she reversed into a Ferrari she would have expected to pay £300. :D

Good job you took photo's and ensure you have a backup copy (which you now do) of the texts incase you lose your phone. If she has admitted in a text that it is your fault because you didn't reverse back then you have it their in black and white my friend.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers guys.

In regards to the reverse lights and bulbs. She didn't smash anything as it was mainly bumper to bumper. So not sure of that theory would work in this case. However the white fibers of fiber glass in the floor indicate my position on the road at the time of the incident.

There would be evidence of fiber glass further up at the traffic lights if I had hit her.

The problem is mate that she hasnt 100% admitted to reversing via those texts i posted up. But she has offered to pay out for damages. Now why would she offer that if I had crashed into the back of her and why did she not claim through her insurance first off if it was all my fault?

Her story has changed so she is just digging herself a bigger hole.

I hope you win, I like to think most people are pretty honest but there are always those who drive home, chat with their partners and all of a sudden the story changes.

Ric is right about the camera, I was driving along not long ago and this oncoming car went right out into the middle of the road to the point where I almost left the road. I thought if there was a crash and the police turned up who's word would they take? the other guy in a corsa / rover or me in a supra?

Even the cheap ones are supposed to be fairly good these days, I bought this one the other day, hasn't turned up yet but if it's rubbish then I haven't lost much. Recording at night is the acid test. On the other hand I don't want something massively expensive in my front window.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221533976637

how did your intercooler sustain that damage and how much does it make up of your claim? I'm just playing devils advocate here and looking at the pics I can't see how the damage to it was caused....it might seem a stretch by an assessor to claim for a new one, or expect full money for one...

the damage to the front intercooler was sustained by the front bumper being pushed inwards and applying pressure to the intercooler in that area. Basically, on the JDL bumper, the fiber glass goes right back towards the intercooler with a fraction of spacing. So on impact its been pushed into the intercooler and caused that damage.

I can assure you, the damage was not there prior as the car has only just recently been fully restored and the intercooler was brand new a few months back from whifbitz.

The problem is mate that she hasnt 100% admitted to reversing via those texts i posted up. But she has offered to pay out for damages. Now why would she offer that if I had crashed into the back of her and why did she not claim through her insurance first off if it was all my fault?

Her story has changed so she is just digging herself a bigger hole.

Keep texting her and try and get her admission to her reversing. Obviously do it without being obvious. Just say what makes you think I have to reverse if you reverse on a main road?

I dont think you need a new bumper though, why would the body shop not just glass it back together. Its not even that bad and if your intercooler is not punctured and only has a few bent fins i think you are taking the piss a bit tbh. I do agree its entirely her fault but by wanting a brand new bumper and intercooler you are making your situation worse

Edited by np89 (see edit history)

I dont really see how im taking the piss to be honest. Seeing as after all I have just spent £2500 on a respray and fitting of a new kit. £700 on a new front mounted intercooler and fitting plus the remaining £14,000 I spent on restoring this entire car for someone to then reverse into me at a set of traffic lights.

prior to it being hit, it was all brand spanking new, so I have every right to ask for compensation.

The bumper has been fully inspected by my body shop who I have gone to for years now and when they saw the damage, they said they could try to repair it, but could not guarantee there work as it may start to show cracks in those areas again over time.

Im just being honest about the damage that was caused after I was hit.

Its a fibreglass bumper though and the pictures are in the thread and its really not that bad. Tbh if your bodyshop cant repair that id be taking it somewhere else..... if the intercooler was brand spankers then thats fair enough but its not like the insurance is going to pay out tomorrow or next week even if they do agree to your quote. Id be trying to limit my costs for the meantime and making the most of what you can