The mkiv Supra Owners Club

importing tt6

lewis hill

Hi lads, basically trying to find a black tt6 but rarely seen any come up in auction but have been offered a NA 6 speed and a vvti TT engine. I'm just curious that everything will work fine with no problems. I'm getting potentially done by the importer themselves so know it will be a quality job. I'm also asking for your opinion on prices etc, I guess conversions sell for less as there is a risk factor I suppose but what would be a good price for fresh import NA 6 speed with a vvti TT in it? I don't want to buy something that would be impossible to sell lol. Not that I plan on doing it straight away.

Thanks

Lewis

I'm sure the swap will cause no issues and the car will always sell afterwards, but note that it'll never be of the same value as a true factory TT6. This isn't due to anything other than buyer perception as it'll always be viewed as an N/A shell. I know that when I was searching for both my cars nothing but a factory TT6 hardtop would do.

If your hesitant at this stage you'll never be happy. Wait for the right car to come up.

I searched for 2 years for my black car and was lucky enough to find the 1A1 after 6 months or so.

I'm sure the swap will cause no issues and the car will always sell afterwards, but note that it'll never be of the same value as a true factory TT6. This isn't due to anything other than buyer perception as it'll always be viewed as an N/A shell. I know that when I was searching for both my cars nothing but a factory TT6 hardtop would do.

If your hesitant at this stage you'll never be happy. Wait for the right car to come up.

I searched for 2 years for my black car and was lucky enough to find the 1A1 after 6 months or so.

Thanks for that, yeah I appreciate it wont sell for the same which is why I'm getting it done for a good price. Just mainly wanted to know the mechanical side as I have no clue. Then again there is a lot of conversions about so cant be that risky to do lol

ok my 2p.........mechanically it will fit ok. The NA 6 speeds have a lower ratio limited slip diff so if that is not changed it will rev higher than a normal TT for any given speed. You may like this or it may annoy but it's a difference worth pointing out. Also the rear diff has only one mount so adding another would be a proviso for me. Also the NA will have no traction control, not an issue to most but a difference none the less.

Shock and springs are different NA to TT so are these getting swapped out front and rear with the engine transfer. Like wise anti roll bars might be different - I'm not 100% re the facelifts but I think they are thicker on TT's

Late NA's have no low level oil warning sensor......but if they don't have a corresponding loom plug (not sure on this) then the new VVti engine might not be able to have that facility either?