The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Few questions about my Tein coilovers

Mgrene

Hi Guys/Girls.

After seeing several movies on the net and read several pages about coilovers bla. bla. I now have a few questions about mines:

1) I am wondering if mine are missing top mounts? There is only this black piece mounted between the top of the coilover and the strut bar?

2) And what about in the rear, are the top mounts also missing or?

3) As far as I'm concerned, the model is Tein Super Street, but shouldn't it be possible to adjust the preload? As you can see from the pictures, there are only two adjustable collars (I think they are called) ? So does this mean that I can only adjust height and not preload ?

Støddæmper 2.jpg

Støddæmper 3.jpg

Støddæmper 4.jpg

Støddæmper 5.jpg

Støddæmper 6.jpg

Støddæmper 7.jpg

Støddæmper 9.jpg

Støddæmper 10.jpg

In the first pic, the top mount is the gold bit, without that, you couldn't fit them to your car. Also if the very top part of the silver bit on the first pic can be turned, thats the damping adjustment. Looks like it to me.

Okay I see. I thought the top mount was supposed to be fitted on the other side of the engine bay [emoji16] Correct, the top part of the silver bit is damper adjustment.

Guess the only question left is the part about the preload.

You have the full complement of *rap. *rap dampers, *rap top mounts, and a *rap spring option that will make it ride like a board. Just needs *rap tyres and you have built the de facto death trap ;)

Time for my coffee....and those little green pills. I'll be charming this afternoon, no worries :)

One thing is for sure, you are always

honest [emoji6]

I know that this coilover kit is not preferable, but it was installed when I bought the car and since I do not have 1500,- quid to throw after a new kit, I might as well get the best out of it.

For your information I'm running 25/315 tyres (rear) so I guess I'm running with the perfect death trap [emoji2] But again, this is a car with 630 bhp so rather a bit rough ride than a "hover" feeling when I pass the 100 mph mark.

I guess with such a width and profile rear tyre it's one option to make the rear suspension so stiff the camber remain dynamically static. Given a lowered ride height and that width and profile tyre the stock rear camber change curve will do traction no favours at all! Dynamic rear camber change is a bit of a Supra MKIV Achilles heel I'm afraid. Probably due to the contraints of wanting a usable boot space and the wishbone spacing dilemma.

I guess with such a width and profile rear tyre it's one option to make the rear suspension so stiff the camber remain dynamically static. Given a lowered ride height and that width and profile tyre the stock rear camber change curve will do traction no favours at all! Dynamic rear camber change is a bit of a Supra MKIV Achilles heel I'm afraid. Probably due to the contraints of wanting a usable boot space and the wishbone spacing dilemma.

Actually, even though the car is pretty low there is not much negative camber (if you ask me), ergo the loss of traction is minimum.

But maybe I have the above opinion because I haven't tried or compared my set-up with other set-up's

Well I guess its the same with all cars. When you chose something, you always deslect something else. I guess this is what they have done with the MKIV and the rear camber.

Anyway, you will be the first to know when I get myself some new coilovers. Then hopefully you will not stay awake at night any longer [emoji106][emoji3]