The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some Advice!

wattwatt

Right in a bit of a dilemma on what to do...

I purchased a TT6 pre-facelift in September ridiculously cheap but with the mind set that it's in need of a lot of love and attention. Since buying I've enjoyed a few outings but unfortunately as a couple of people know on the way to Crawley breakfast meet the poor beauty decided to throw up it's coolant and leave me on the side of the motorway [ANGRY][/ANGRY] after a fellow club members assistance we got it to the meet, I filled it with water and nursed it home. Amazingly no stopping on the way and it has held all the water in the rad and expansion bottle (I used NO boost on drive home around 60 miles)

So into the workshop at work and one of the Tech's also a fellow club member and does know his stuff has had a good look around but can't find where the coolant came from or find any issues but said being brutally honest he wouldn't use mine as base car to start on? he said if it was him he advise me to sell it add a couple of grand and replace with a better one?? I'm in two minds one because I do see his point and mine does need everything from ground up but at least I will then know everything about it and know I can trust it, plus it's already got the 6 Speed box which these seem to be rocking horse ..... to buy without converting.

What would everyone on here advice?

Find out why he wouldn't, from the limited information I would say spend the money on it over time as it will be worth more as prices go up as it's a UK TT6. The other option is to re-shell it as presumably it's rusty etc and replace the knackered item during a re-shell, this will be worth less in the long run.

Leaking radiator caps are a common cause of over heating, if the cap is not holding pressure in the system the coolant boils over at a lower temperature. I'd try a new radiator cap (make sure where the caps seals against the radiator is clean), flush the system and fill with fresh coolant then see if it behaves itself.

Has he given reason why he thinks as he does? What are the areas of concern? I'd start by making a list of what needs putting right and price up how much it'll cost, then you can decided what's best to do.

It may have just thrown up it's coolant from being overfilled? No room for the expansion of gases and fluids to go over the heat increase, something has to give.

What's wrong with it apart from the coolant that people are swaying away from it? All depends how good you are with the tools etc. yourself. If you have the ability, time, space and patience to work your way through the car and sort it out then I'm sure this forum would love to see your work and be grateful you've saved a UK TT6 from what sounds like impending doom! :)

It's a J-Spec TT6 not a UK but as far as I can find these are still pretty rare and can only go one way on there values. The shell as far as I can see and find is pretty sound a few knocks and bumps and there but nothing major the main reason he is saying this is although the previous owner has passed on 14 years worth of history totally around 11k the car is still very tired and a very quick list brings up that it needs:

Full engine rebuild

New clutch & Gearbox seals refurb as there is a small leak from the box

New suspension

it has UK brakes but there are desperate for a full refurb, new disks & pads

the interior is extremely tired but I have already purchased black carpet and full dash surrounds from keron just need manual surround needed.

That's just a quick list...

So what he is saying as mine stands its worth 5-6k so adding 3-4k I could get a facelift less tired model that wouldn't need me throwing 8-10k at it to get to that same point...

It may have just thrown up it's coolant from being overfilled? No room for the expansion of gases and fluids to go over the heat increase, something has to give.

What's wrong with it apart from the coolant that people are swaying away from it? All depends how good you are with the tools etc. yourself. If you have the ability, time, space and patience to work your way through the car and sort it out then I'm sure this forum would love to see your work and be grateful you've saved a UK TT6 from what sounds like impending doom! :)

To be honest engine wise I'm not that clued up on and unfortunately I haven't really got the room to get myself tucked into learning, as much as I would love too and the more I read the forum of peoples efforts the more I would love to rip it apart myself but space, knowledge and tools are extremely limited so it would worry me that I would start and not being able to complete :(

Dan, don't do anything drastic just yet mate.

Get the cooling system pressure tested. That will show up any weak points/hoses/clamps, and highlight what needs fixing.

You said after you first got it, that the heaters were cold - so I think it needed a good flush, fresh coolant, and bleeding properly anyway. Sundays episode may have just been something daft - but looking at the colour of the coolant, and rad, I'd say they were well overdue being replaced!

I'll help where I can dude. Your car pulls really strong, and is a good base for what could be a lovely car.

Buy a rad, coolant, and cam belt parts - along with a crank pulley, and invest £500 into doing the essentials. I'll help you do it.

A few cosmetic tweaks, and a bit of love, will have it back to its former glory ;)

If you really do decide to sell it, I might be very interested, but I really think you should keep it, love it, and enjoy it.

Gary,

Don't worry I am in no mind to sell up fast or do anything drastic and to be honest i was just seeing if everyone on here agrees with my opinion, keep and put the effort into mine which so far everyone has agreed :)

I also much appreciate the offer to help and already have the text on my phone written out to send to you on beg of help with the offer of a few bluewater dinners on me ;)

Get a new rad cap... at the max £20 and you dont have to be a scientist to replace one.

If you could not find where the coolant came from its most likely from the expansion bottle.

The way the cooling system works on the Supra is that the Pressure cap on the radiator keeps the pressure of the coolant around 1bar which keeps the boiling temp down. (higher pressure means higher boiling point). If the pressure goes too high then the cap starts to vent the pressure into the expansion bottle to stop splitting the rad.

If the Pressure cap is no longer working it will vent the pressure to the expansion bottle when the pressure is no where near 1 bar.

Then if you give it the beans, the coolant pressure and temp will increase, it will fill the expansion bottle and then overflow and overheat.

When the engine cools down and the pressure decreases in the radiator it sucks the coolant back from the expansion bottle and back into the radiator..

90% of cooling issues on the Supra is down to the cap.

Get the cap changed

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

This coolant that came out, covered the alternator, viscous fan, and o/s chassis. Also appeared to be dripping from under the twins.

There were no obvious pipes/gaskets at fault, and the run home showed no issues either - so my guess is it was possibly building pressure somewhere, due to an air lock, then maybe the pressure overcame a clip and blew the coolant out.

Without having a proper look, it's hard to guess, but we'll get there.

I'm willing to help you out where I can aswell Danny. If you want it pressure tested and trust it to get to me, I'll more than happily test it for you mate.

Ben your a gent, thank you for the offer and worst case if I can't find anyone and with Gary's kind offer to help I can't manage to get done locally it will be coming for a slow drive over to see ya ;) Also of course I trust it after it got me home Sunday lol... I do have your lottery ticket here I dated it for Euro millions Friday 6th at the next blue water meet :)

Ben your a gent, thank you for the offer and worst case if I can't find anyone and with Gary's kind offer to help I can't manage to get done locally it will be coming for a slow drive over to see ya ;) Also of course I trust it after it got me home Sunday lol... I do have your lottery ticket here I dated it for Euro millions Friday 6th at the next blue water meet :)

Haha! Brilliant!!

Get a new rad cap... at the max £20 and you dont have to be a scientist to replace one.

If you could not find where the coolant came from its most likely from the expansion bottle.

The way the cooling system works on the Supra is that the Pressure cap on the radiator keeps the pressure of the coolant around 1bar which keeps the boiling temp down. (higher pressure means lower boiling point). If the pressure goes too high then the cap starts to vent the pressure into the expansion bottle to stop splitting the rad.

If the Pressure cap is no longer working it will vent the pressure to the expansion bottle when the pressure is no where near 1 bar.

Then if you give it the beans, the coolant pressure and temp will increase, it will fill the expansion bottle and then overflow and overheat.

When the engine cools down and the pressure decreases in the radiator it sucks the coolant back from the expansion bottle and back into the radiator..

90% of cooling issues on the Supra is down to the cap.

Get the cap changed

I don't mean to be pedantic but increasing the pressure raises the boiling point.

regards chris

Sit on this for a while and try and establish if it is reliable without spending out on it! There were enough people at Crawley that would have ripped your arm off for that car!

To be fair everyone was trying to rip my arm off to get the keys lol... Yeah with the amount of help I've been offered on the forum & with Gary potentially giving up his Sunday already for me, it has concreted my decision to stick with it... ;)

Dude this forum is full of people that are willing to help out members in need I know I've had plenty help me out and like others if you need a hand at all I'm off every weekend at the moment so happy to pop down and help out with Gary and Ben

Much appreciated mate I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of that offer very soon :)