The mkiv Supra Owners Club

KW Variant 3 Coilovers

Westy

Listed by many of the sites as the best coilovers for the mkiv but has anyone on here experienced them!?

I've been considering buying a set but after talking with Mark from Marks Engineering he has informed me that they don't come with top mounts?

He supplies his own top mounts designed specifically for the KW v3 for this reason, but that will add another $500Aus to an already expensive bit of kit!:blink:

Any insight or alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them.

Can confirm they are excellent.

Corrosion resistance, ride comfort, height adjustment, body control. All top notch.

If you were closer I'd say come try! But Ian C has driven it and also confirmed they are very nice. I've stuck them on the middle of the damping range (comp and rebound) and at the top of the height range...never felt the need to change from that.

I will say that you need to start with them wound up to max on the height as that's stock...then lower from there.

Can't speak about their after-care as not needed it, I bought them direct from KW UK.

I was looking at getting the KW Variant 3's but when I got prices between them and the new design tein mono flex (sports now) I didn't think I would see the £300 difference.

So I went for the Teins and I'm really happy with them, you can notice the different in build and ride quality compared to other brands like BC. Before everyone lynches me for saying that, yes I have felt the ride quality of BC's.

KW are good but their service and replacements are awful, sometimes having to wait 6 months for a replacement*

*So i've read.

No way... I have many friends/customers on various cars and Service was always first class with KW Components.

The Coilovers themselves are fantastic. One of the best I've driven on a supra. See if you can get them from Germany they are cheaper over here on Ebay etc. :)

I had tein mono flex on my Supra and have KW V3's on my Audi. I would say the V3's are the best suspension i have ever had. Handles amazingly well and is still very comfortable. Takes bumps very well too. I have no experience of after sales service though. Regal autosport always do good deals on KW's :)

Thanks for the info folks. Anyone confirm this top mount issue!? If you haven't bought the marks engineering ones what have you used to fit them!?

Stock ones are fine... They are not really known to break

That's cheap...£1403 here direct from KW.

But that'll be our wonderful tax system again.:rolleyes:

It's a German Product would be a shame if we(and luxembourg) were paying more than the rest of the world. :D

Anyone got an idea on how much OEM top mounts are.

I'd be ripping out my OEM REAS suspension to for these so doubt their tops would be compatible?

They seem to be different to the Non Reas as far as i can see on Toyodiy at a first glance. But i don't know if they fit the KW. A full set of tops would be around 400-450$ from the USA.

Just seems like needless expenditure. No idea why they don't come with top mounts at this price point.

Honestly when we Installed a set of KW Coilovers on a car, we reused the Old ones... there really isn't anything that could break on them. This is for the Pre facelift ones, i don't know if there is a difference with facelift and reas.

Wouldn't be an issue if I had them mate but my black car has REAS and the 1A1 had coilovers fitted from Japan

Is it for road use? As the car is fitted with REAS have you considered talking to Chris Wilson about getting the shocks rebuilt, a set of custom springs and machining the seat springs so you can set to the desired ride height?

The KW use the stock top mounts. We had to bore out the hole in them a tiny bit but other than that, they are spot on.

Teins will corrode for 300 extra you don't have to replace them...there's your extra worth right there.

I got my top mounts off someone on the forum for peanuts. Keron prolly has loads.