The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin screamer pipe sound clips.

Phlukey

As some of you may know, my car is at SRD at the moment and is having a new Turbo setup fitted. It's having a Precision 6870 fitted on a Whifbitz twin waste gate manifold with Turbosmart 40 mm waste gates and screamer pipes.

Now, I like loud, but I'm now a little worried how this setup will sound. My old GT47 twin wastegate setup had only one of the gates on a screamer with the other routed back into the down pipe and that sounded great.

I've listened to lots of youtube videos of Supra's with screamers and some IMO sound great......

While others IMO sound rubbish (more like a blowing exhaust rather than a ripping sheet metal noise).....

I might be wrong, but the ones I don't like the noise of all seem to be cars running lower boost levels, which I guess causes the wastegate to open earlier in the rev range (as required boost level is reached sooner), meaning that the screamer pipe is 'active' for longer rather that just coming in nearer the top of the rev range when the car is flat out and exhaust gas flow is at it's highest (making the ripping sheet metal noise I like). Also, with cars running lower boost and the wastegate opens earlier, the sound from the screamer pipe seems to come in like a switch has been flicked to turn it on, rather than fading in seemingly naturally like in the cars running higher boost levels..... I'm weird I know lol

Can anyone show me any sound clips / videos of a Supra running a twin screamer pipe setup like my new one, so I can get an idea of what it will sound like please?